Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering with mouse, audio, and video

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Will the forum let you make another reply and attach it to that one? You can also send it to me over PM and I can attach it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Oh I forgot about compression. I uploaded the file in a zip file to that it meets the 500 KB limit.

Attached Files

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When you said you downloaded almost every driver from Dell's site, did that include the drivers for the CD/DVD drive? Might want to re-download and install those, since we wiped the system since you installed them last.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes that included the drivers for the CD/DVD drive. I'll look into downloading that again.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Any luck?

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nope, once again I'm still getting the stuttering effect when I don't have a CD or DVD in the drive.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding relevant drivers for that drive. I was hoping an update would help. I'm going to continue researching the subject. Let me know if anything new shows up.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. At least I have a temporary solution with my problem. Although, I could try rolling back my drivers for my DVD/CD drive to see what happens. I don't remember if this problem occurred before or after I installed the new drivers.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You know, we've already wiped the machine clean. What's the worst that can happen if you roll the drivers back?

Is that your temporary solution, or do you have something else in mind as well?

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Oh my temporary solution is having a disc inserted in the drive. For some reason there's no stuttering whenever there's a disc inside it. Of course one problem with rolling back drivers is that I don't think Dell supplied me with a disc for those drivers. Guess I'll have to check again though.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So wait I missed that earlier... If a CD is in the drive, there is no stuttering?

That's really interesting... Let me keep researching that.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Exactly. I don't have to play the CD or DVD, as long as it's in the drive then there's no stuttering.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Right now it seems that your CD/DVD Rom drive may be defective. I'm working on an alternate solution, but if it's under warranty, see if you can get it replaced. Seeing as how you're on a free help website though, I take it you're probably out of warranty haha I'm hoping to find a better solution which will prevent any replacements though... I'll keep in touch.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Should I try running diagnostic software to see if it picks up my CD/DVD drive as being defective? Yeah, I have this laptop for 3.5 years now so it's no longer under warranty. However, the good news is that I'll be getting a new laptop soon. Maybe these laptop issues are a sign that I need to move on...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Nothing wrong with running a diagnostic check as long as the software is legit. Right now I'm focusing on exact causes or something that is directly related. So far the pieces to the puzzle don't match very well...