Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undo encrypted files in MS Word

• Please log in to reply

bjr2

bjr2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am using Windows XP Home edition.

My MS Word edition is 2002

I created a folder to save my MS Word documents in.

I had problems with my PC so I had to use PC Recovery. After using the recovery, I cannot access my Word documents that are in the folder that I saved them to.
A box comes up with : "Word cannot open document. User does not have access privileges"

However, if I create a new word document & save it to my desk top, I can open it.

*I did not delete any user accounts when using PC Recovery
*I am logged on as Administrator
*My husband has access to his files, that are NOT in my folder, with no problem.
*My receipts from paying bills online are in that file, My husband thinks he remembers encrypting it so that no hackers could get access to the information in the files,
but that was more than a year ago & he can not remember how he encrypted it.

Is there any way to undo the encryption in MS Word 2002 so we can access our important files??

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello bjr2 I am wizzy and welcome to Geeks To Go

Is there any way to undo the encryption in MS Word 2002 so we can access our important files??

Due to the nature of this request and since we cannot determine who is legit and non-legit over the internet we are unable to provide support on this matter.

Regards

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Lets expound a little on that. Its true that we cannot help specifically because we cannot tell if this is truly your computer. Its for your safety that we follow this rule. If someone were trying to access your files, you would not want us telling them how to access your files.

I can give you a few suggestions. First, and most importantly, figure out how you encrypted the files in the first place. Without that information nothing that anyone can tell you will help you anyways. If you figure out how, you can contact the vendor who created the encryption software for assistance.

That's really all we can help you with. Hope you understand.

ScHwErV :)