Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless says it has connected but it hasn't really

• Please log in to reply

culubalo

culubalo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I currently have two computers (one DELL Inspiron and one custom desktop PC) which connects easily to the network, I just got an Acer Aspire Gemstone 6930g but it refuses to wirelessly connect (see thread title).

When I use a CAT 5 cable it works fine but when I try to do it wirelessly it takes a really long time (and even tells me it's taking longer than expected to connect) then eventually says it has connected and either says it hasn't connected properly because of a bad password or weak signal. The password is definitely correct and the signal is at 5 bars (also tried connecting right next to the router), my older Dell barely manages 3 bars :)

I'm really not sure what's going on, I ran cmd and through ipconfig determined it wasn't actually connected to the wireless router. Also fun fact: Even entering the wrong password ends up with a connection which doesn't work :S

I don't really know what other information I can give, can anyone help me please?

Advertisements

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok just a quick update, it seems to be spending its entire time saying 'identify', like how the ones which work do it but sono after actually 'identify' the connection.