Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio problem

• Please log in to reply

Joshua_King

Joshua_King

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have a computer with Windows XP that has audio problems. Apparently everything is fine except whenever I watch a video or listen to music on it, it plays, but no audio. I also did an upgrade for one of my old PC's to xp. There whenever I wanna listen to music it says something about me not having a sound card installed/drivers or it's been used by another program.
I went as far as buying another sound card. When I replaced the sound card it (on the 1st PC) it says that I don't have a sound card installed. So I took it out and wasted some money :)

It's not urgent having no audio on a PC is fine for me. Thanks for your time.
Josh

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
On the first PC you mentioned, check the Device Manager. If there's an item in the list with a yellow question mark over it, and the entry is named "Multimedia Audio Controller" or something similar, that will be the soundcard and it means no drivers have been installed for it, hence it won't work. If you want help to get the drivers for it we need to know the make/model of the PC and may be some other info if it's not a well-known PC brand.

As for the PC you fitted a new soundcard into, it won't work until you install it's driver which should have been supplied on a CD with the card.
You haven't mentioned installing a driver for it, which is why I'm pointing it out to you.