Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

limited or no connectivity after trojan malware removal

• Please log in to reply

lysistrata7

lysistrata7

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I spent about a week working to get rid of malware on my machine and now am having problems connecting to my wireless router. I currently have avast, superantispyware, spyguard and comodo firewall running. On Sunday, I was finally able to pronounce my machine free of trojans, etc. after a week of fighting - I posted to this forum and had help. Last night, my connection was lost to my wireless router which is a linksys WRT54G. To me the strangest thing is that when I bring my laptop into the room where the router is located the name of the network is linksys rather than the name I have given it. :)

Advertisements

lysistrata7

lysistrata7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Upon visiting other sites - I have installed the SP2ConnectivityFix patch and WinsockFix. Neither of these worked and so I still need help please!

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Have you checked the router? If your Wireless network is saying that its seeing a "linksys" network and not the name you're used to, perhaps someone has reset the router to its factory settings? I'd try to connect via an UTEP cable and enter the back door of the router. Verify its security settings and the name of your network. Good luck...

lysistrata7

lysistrata7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I took my laptop to school and am unable to connect to the wireless system here as well. Furthermore, I plugged in the cable and it also wouldn't let me connect to the internet. Not sure what the problem is.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Most routers will automatically provide the IP addresses to your network connection. Check the properties of your Local area connection, (click on start, control panel, network connections. right click on the local area connection and then highlight the TCP/IP inside of the window that pops up. See if its set to "automatically receive IP and DNS addressing. If its not, change it so it does. This should allow the connection via cable