Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disablw start menu ballon tips and icons

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Are there any registry tweaks that will remove the icons and balloon tips on items in the start menu, and the All Programs list, on XP?
I've tried severalI found by Googleing but they don't work. I don't want to remove the tips that show info on files in Pictures, Documents, or Music folder.

Edited by wright3279, 02 December 2008 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
In my signature is a direct link to TweakUI for XP. It has many features that will allow you to customize what gets displayed by your computer. Just download and install it. As far as info tips... open My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab... scroll down the list and UNCHECK "Show Popup description for folders and desktop items".

Hope that solves what you're asking about.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
That also disables the popup info for ALL folders and files. I just wanted to disable in the Start Menu and All Programs list. Probably there's no way. Thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There is "supposedly" a way through Group Policies, but I've not seen it work. Also, it will only disable "some" of the tips. Try searching Google for "disable start menu balloon tips" and you'll get a lot of hits... including directions for using gpedit.msc

Good luck!