68 replies to this topic

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Dannz,

I'm glad we could help - thanks for letting us know!

Advertisements

NyQuil

NyQuil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is probably the best way to remove this program. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is probably any ones best bet to remove a rogue program, Well at least most of them, Make sure you guys get the Pro version so it can detect before it reaches you computer.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Which is exactly the point of this thread. The free version is adequate for removing this. The Pro version does provide more real-time protection against threats such as this, but is not necessary for removal.

Aishenne

Aishenne

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, I'd just like to ask how to make sure that what's afflicting my PC is indeed AV2009? I've searched through the net and found that my symptoms are similar to other cases (the Alert!! Your computer is struck by the spyware, the prompt to install AV2009, the fake AV2009 running in a web browser). However, I tried all recommendations to uninstall the virus, to no avail :) . Stuff I've tried are:

1. Malwarebyte's AntiMalware <-- I ran this many times, and cleaned 2 infections that keep recurring no matter how many times I clean it.
2. SpyDoctor <-- couldn't use remove spyware in any case, geez why would people say it's a free REMOVAL tool if it needs to be licensed to be able to remove stuff ~_~
3. SuperAntiSpyware
4. Spybot Search and Destroy
5. AVG full scan

The thing is, these programs don't really seem to detect any infection like rogue antivirus, antivirus pro, or other names resembling AV2009. Is there anything else I can do before posting a HJT log? Thanks so much for the time.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Not really, I would go and post your HJT log in the Malware Removal forum

techiegrl

techiegrl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I just installed this program and ran it, seemed to remove the XP Antivirus just fine, but I have lost most of all my admin privledges, no control panel, I cannot use task manager etc. I am not sure if this is just virus related or related to a setting with malware application

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

rednblack66

rednblack66

• Pip
  • 5 posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

that virus was one of the worst i've ever experienced on a computer. i followed your advice and i'm pretty sure i killed that mofo. :)

BeJayWatson

BeJayWatson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the antivirus 2009 on my computer. I've tried to download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and the website doesn't exist anymore, then when I am able to download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from other sites it doesn't work. Are there any other options for me

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Advertisements

cassidy_wilke5751

cassidy_wilke5751

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i understand the steps you have to go through in order to remove this program, but i think i have slightly a different situation...
i first started recieving viruses and like myself i paniced and downloaded this antispyware pro software which made the situation worse. i then decided that i'd stay off my computer until i was able to afford windows live onecare which has work for me in the past.
anyways just a couple of days ago i got back on it and i see it had downloaded a new software called antivirus 2009 which i had not downloaded of course. now it has me completely immobilized. i can't open any programs like microsoft work or my internet browser for that fact. and i was hopping that maybe there is a way for me to restore my computer manually or somehow get rid of it of the software long enough for me to remove the program.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Please go to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the steps you are still having difficulty, then post an OTL log in THAT forum.

Tristan.Y

Tristan.Y

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer has hit with anti virus system pro; im not sure if that is the same as anti virus 2009 or if it can be treated in the same way. I've downloaded mbam, but it wont let it open. Elsewhere in these forums i read to download temp file cleaner,system restore point but those wont open either. I read somewhere else that i can identify the problem with task manager- it wont open. I tried downloading something called house call which is supposed to scan for viruses- won't open. I also read to rename the mbam file to something like abcd123.exe, did that, still wont open (but im not sure i did that part right, i just right clicked the icon, hit rename and did so- did i actually change the file name, or just what the icon says?)I'm starting to get concerned as I keep reading on a number of forums that the solutions i listed, work just fine for other people. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Dottie Demento

Dottie Demento

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear Admin,
Why do you recommend running only a Malwarebyte quick scan?
I stumbled across Geeks-to-go a little late in the game so I haven't followed this site's steps to remove Antivirus Pro as instructed- it seems I caught the dreaded virus last night. I didn't follow the preparation steps before I ran the Malwarebytes Complete Scan so I'm wondering if I should repeat the process as you outlined.
Since last night, I don't seem to have any more problems with pop-ups and being locked out of my task manager, but I'm afraid this may be a rootkit infection.
In the meantime, I'm going to run a Windows Live OneCare Saftey Scan and DL the AVG Antivirus free edition. What is the safest and best way to resume from this point?
Signed,
D.D.
(Desktop in Desperation)

Edited by Dottie Demento, 30 November 2009 - 04:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.