Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Pavilion ze1210 laptop problem

• Please log in to reply

MondiBlue

MondiBlue

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yesterday, I went to turn on my laptop and it gave me this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Know Good Configuration to revert to most recent settings.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, Choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Know Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice. Seconds until Windows start: (then it countdowns from 30 seconds)

The problem is it randomly will shut off before getting to that message screen. It will turn off at any point once it gets to the message screen. The few times it got further without turning off it went to a chkdisk screen. However, if I let it begin to chkdisk it turns off. If I press a key and don't choose chkdisk it still turns off. I've chosen every option it has give me (every safe mode, last known good configuration, start windows normally) and it always turns off.

I've unplugged everything and plugged it back in. Yet it still won't get to Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MondiBlue, 02 December 2008 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Try turning the laptop on to boot from a cd in the drive, whether its the Vista install cd, or anything that will boot (Linux Live CD is excellent). Then, if it still shuts down while booting to the cd, you might have a diagnosis of a faulty power supply or connection? If not, your Windows install (obviously) is the problem.

MondiBlue

MondiBlue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The problem has gotten worse. I can't open the laptop to more than about 35 degree angle or it'll shut off when powering on. The light to show power is on usually only stays on for a couple of seconds now and then turns off. It doesn't even take me to a screen anymore, it just shuts off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Couple things:
First, check the DC jack in the back where the adapter plugs in. Make sure it's pushed in snuggly and doesn't give too much play. If it wiggles pretty easily side to side, the jack may need to be re soldered.

Secondly, take out the hard drive if you know how. May sound kindof odd to you, but if the hard drive fails badly it'll power down. Normally it'd make an audible noise if it were that bad though. If it stays powered on properly without the hard drive in, you've got the culprit.