Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

hocky fan

hocky fan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am hoping my problem is a simple fix. After a reboot and re-install of Windows XP on my IBM Thinkpad T40 last month, I have tried several system restore points without success. All other systems are performing great. A check of the System Properties-System Restore tab, revealed the disk space slide bar is set to the maximum setting of 12% (4209 Mb). My guess is that the Mb's should be increased somehow. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
SuperAntiSpyware Free has a repair function which includes repair of System Restore. I was having problems with S R, used the repaire mentioned and it has worked perfectly since. Google will find it for you. It may not work, but it's worth a try.

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So... you're saying you re-installed Windows over a previous install, to fix it? And now you are trying to restore all the settings on the new install to those on the old one, using System Restore? Is that correct? If that's accurate, I'm almost positive you can't do that, unless you have a full system back up that you want to recover files from. But that still isn't using System Restore

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

I need some clarification please.

Was there a particular reason that you reinstalled XP?
What do you mean by

All other systems are performing great

?

hocky fan

hocky fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So... you're saying you re-installed Windows over a previous install, to fix it? And now you are trying to restore all the settings on the new install to those on the old one, using System Restore? Is that correct? If that's accurate, I'm almost positive you can't do that, unless you have a full system back up that you want to recover files from. But that still isn't using System Restore

hocky fan

hocky fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Several months ago, I logged into a hotel server in Vegas. Shortly thereafter, I was having numerous lockups, then a black screen. Nothing I could do would rid the black screen after the Windows XP splash screen greeting. So, being frustrated as I was, somehow I got to the diagnostics section and rebooted XP to its initial configuration using the pre-installed XP boot up on my laptop. Everything was working great after downloading SP2 and all necessary updates. Well, I was tinking around with my desktop settings and themes using various colors. I didn't like what I created.... and couldn't find my default scheme so I wanted to Restore to a previous date. That's when I discovered I could not restore to any highlighted date in the restore calendar.

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
It would help if it was clear whether those Restore Points were created with the original install or the new install. Would make sense if the New install could recognize but not access Restore Points from the original. Not sure past that point. System Restore isn't something I've ever had to fix before. (Didn't realize it could malfunction)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

somehow I got to the diagnostics section and rebooted XP to its initial configuration using the pre-installed XP boot up on my laptop

Does this mean that you have 2 XP's on the computer? or did you use recovery and redo it back to day 1?

hocky fan

hocky fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used recovery and redid everything back to day one, right out of the box.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried turning off system restore, rebooting the computer, and then turning it back on?

To clear all but the most recent. Go to start/ all programs/ accessories/ system tool/ disk cleanup. Run disk cleanup and when it is done, click the "more options "tab. Here you will be able to clear all but the most recent.