Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Looking for good TV Tuner

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
For a while I've owned the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950 hybrid TV stick, and have used it on both a Vista desktop computer and an XP Media Center laptop computer to watch TV. Recently it has stopped working entirely, and I've gone through hours of dealing with Hauppauge's technical support with no avail. I've come to the conclusion that I just simply need a new TV tuner.

While this tuner did it's job, I wouldn't buy it again for my purposes. I couldn't get media center to detect it on either of the operating systems, XP or Vista, and was forced to use the WinTV software. I didn't mind this so much, but I would much prefer not having to download an extra software to watch TV when Media Center could be used. Also, I could tell that it wasn't really meant to be used on a Vista computer, as it was very glitchy, and I essentially had to go through back doors to get it to work.

Ideally, the best thing I could probably do is get a Vista compatible, internal TV tuner card for my desktop computer, and be done with it. However, I'm currently living in a college dorm, and I am mostly on my laptop. Therefore, it wouldn't really be worth it for me to get a TV tuner specifically for my desktop computer.

What I'm looking for is an external, USB TV tuner that is compatible with both XP Media Center and Vista (32-bit) with Media Center. I don't care so much about recording, rewinding, pausing...etc, I just want to be able to watch live cable TV that is smooth, clear, and doesn't slow my computers down (well, that may be unavoidable with my laptop).

So does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I just dreaming of a piece of fantasy hardware that doesn't exist.