Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphic Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sandies

Sandies

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Recently, I experienced problems with my Internet Connection. While troubleshooting that, something happened to my graphics. Everything is extemely small, from icons to fonts. My res. are set to 1280 X 1024. Highest color 32 bits. The apearance is set to XLg, so that I can see them. I am running XP SP3.

Could you please tell me how to reset it? Thank you.

Edited by Sandies, 02 December 2008 - 05:21 PM.

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
What is the monitor model number/brand? That's a great resolution for a monitor that can display it natively, but if your monitor is a smaller one, like 17" or less, than I would suspect it's not supposed to. Setting your resolution at a higher rate compresses everything on screen. Try a lower resolution.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Sandies and welcome to Geeks to Go!

My first suggestion is for you to try another resolution. As said in the above post, the size of the monitor will determine how the resolution appears.

Here are some instructions on doing so, just encase you are not familiar with this area of Windows.

(1) Right click on any open/empty space on the Desktop
(2) Inside of the drop down menu, left click on Properties
(3) The Display Properties window will now appear
(4) Left click on the Settings tab
(5) You will now notice an area at the bottom left of the window which contains a movable arrow for your Screen Resolution
(6) Try dragging that little arrow to the left and right and select the first resolution you wish to try. Once you have found one you like, simply let go of the left mouse button and click on the Apply button at the bottom right of the page.
(7) Windows will adjust your resolution and you will notice a difference in a matter of seconds. If you do not like the resolution presented, you have two options. You can click on the No button when windows asks if you would like the keep this resolution, or wait for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds has passed, Windows will revert the resolution back to where you had it set before you clicked Apply.
(8) Once you have found the resolution you would like to use, click Yes on the message box that appears after you click on the Apply button.

If none of these seem to bring any joy, let us know.

Good luck! :)

Sandies

Sandies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My monitor is a HP L1706. I tried changing the properties. It made the resolutions worse. Everything was distorted.

Thanks for all the help.

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
A quick check of the specs says the native resolution on that monitor is 1280x1024. THAT shouldn't be the problem with the display then... Do you know if your computer has installed any updates recently? One of those may be a driver that isn't the best fit for that model monitor.

Sandies

Sandies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No know updates. It seem to start after I was troubleshooting the Internet connection problem.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, so here are a few other options...

(1) If you can recall what you did when troubleshooting, we can try to undo some of these changes.

(2) We can do a System Restore which may revert the video changes. Whether or not it will also revert your Internet Connection changes, I'm not sure --- it depends what you did to fix it.

Let me know what you would like to do, but I think these are the most efficient ways to fix this issue.

Also, how are you checking for updates to your video? Can you please provide me with the manufacturer and model of this video card? Also, if you have "on board" graphics (meaning there is no video card) then please let us know about that as well.

Sandies

Sandies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for all the help. It seems it fixed itself. Don't know how. Honestly, I haven't done anything, since I last spoke with you, but everything is back to norma. :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Very nice :)

Stranger things have happened I suppose.

Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Enjoy! :)