Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse problem

• Please log in to reply

Joeyp

Joeyp

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Almost every time I single click on a file to drag it,it opens the file like I have double clicked it. Sometimes when I click on something like a drop down menu ,it will drop down but then close back up after I release the button,and I have to click on it several times to get it to stay open.I have checked the mouse settings in the control panel,and every thing is as it should be.Does this sound like it is a mouse problem,or a system problem? Thanks for any help guys.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, if it's not the mouse, it might be the keyboard. Try whacking at both of your Enter keys on your keyboard... one of them may be kind of stuck.

If that's not it, then the usual suspects apply... let windows update or reinstall the mouse driver, or try a different mouse, or even another keyboard.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Actually, if it's not the mouse, it might be the keyboard. Try whacking at both of your Enter keys on your keyboard... one of them may be kind of stuck.

If that's not it, then the usual suspects apply... let windows update or reinstall the mouse driver, or try a different mouse, or even another keyboard.

Thanks,I'll check all that.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah, or your mouse might be set to treat a single click event as a double click.

Open up Mouse in Control Panel.

On the Buttons tab, under Files and Folders, select one of the following:

Single-click to open an item allows you to point to an item to select it and click once to open it.

Double-click to open an item allows you to click once to select an item and double-click to open it.

Single-click to open an item enables you to click once in many places where you would normally double-click. For example, you can click an icon to start a software program.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Yeah, or your mouse might be set to treat a single click event as a double click.

Open up Mouse in Control Panel.

On the Buttons tab, under Files and Folders, select one of the following:

Single-click to open an item allows you to point to an item to select it and click once to open it.

Double-click to open an item allows you to click once to select an item and double-click to open it.

Single-click to open an item enables you to click once in many places where you would normally double-click. For example, you can click an icon to start a software program.

Settings are correct in the control panel,as I stated in my original post,and it doesn't happen all the time. I whacked on my ENTER keys like you said Makai,and it seemed to fix the problem for awhile,but then it started again.I'm changing the mouse,and I'll let you know what happens,thanks again.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome! I hope you get it fixed. I know it's annoying!

makai