Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing Windows XP Proffesional to Home

• Please log in to reply

Spacemanspiff92

Spacemanspiff92

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
i have an old laptop that has windows xp professional installed on it. Would it be possible to change it to home, without me looking everywhere for the CD and installing it?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As long as the XP Home cd was not OEM and was not used before (has to be a true Microsoft retail cd) you can use it to downgrade.

The problem is that you will have to do a complete reformat and re-install.

Murray

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

i have an old laptop that has windows xp professional installed on it. Would it be possible to change it to home, without me looking everywhere for the CD and installing it?

Hello Spacemanspiff92,

To answer your question...No there isn't a way to downgrade to Win XP Home without the cd.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Spacemanspiff92 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I agree with both of the above posts. Because Windows XP Professional Edition is a different license than Windows XP Home Edition, there is no way to downgrade with the same license key. You would need a new license key which is specific to the operating system build.

If you found the correct CD for the computer you wish to install Home Edition on, then the CD would need to either be a recovery CD which is compatible with this computer model, or a purchased retail version which has never been used on any computer (for an install) other than this one. Essentially, once you install Windows on a PC, the license key gets "married" to it. The license key cannot be used on any other system than the one it was originally installed on.

Hopefully this all makes sense :)

If you have any questions, please ask away! :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi Spacemanspiff92 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I agree with both of the above posts. Because Windows XP Professional Edition is a different license than Windows XP Home Edition, there is no way to downgrade with the same license key. You would need a new license key which is specific to the operating system build.

If you found the correct CD for the computer you wish to install Home Edition on, then the CD would need to either be a recovery CD which is compatible with this computer model, or a purchased retail version which has never been used on any computer (for an install) other than this one. Essentially, once you install Windows on a PC, the license key gets "married" to it. The license key cannot be used on any other system than the one it was originally installed on.

Hopefully this all makes sense :)

If you have any questions, please ask away! :)

Actually, that isn't quite true. A Microsoft retail version can be installed more than once. Only the OEM versions are married to the system first installed on.

As per Article 13 of the XP Home (Retail) EULA:

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

Murray

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Is it going to pass the Genuine Advantage Notification though? I thought it would pitch a fit during activation if it's not the same PC it was activated on the first time? Or does Microsoft allow for a small number of hardware hashes to be sent during activation, but only a couple?

Edited by Facedown98, 02 December 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It will pass. The worst that could happen is you would have to use the "call home" feature to get it activated.

That is the BIG advantage of spending the extra dollors (and the retail version is about 50% more) and buying retail rather than OEM.

Murray

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmmm that's interesting!

Well I'm glad you stopped in! :)

My apologies :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem. I learn something new almost every time I come to GTG.

Now let's hope we helped the OP.

Murray