Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Protective Virus- will not allow Hijack This to be installed and preve

• Please log in to reply

chemgeek

chemgeek

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
On my main CPU I use Windows XP.
My CPU is sick with the following symptoms:

1) Google and ask hyperlinks load a different tab (or window if I use explorer) and they load a random website that is either a list of ads or a "free virus scan". I close them as soon as I can.

2) When I go to AVG or geekstogo or trend micro or other potential aid against the virus I get a pop up requesting log in ID and password "Authentication Required enter username and password for..." . If I cancel it request the info again "A username and password are being requested by ... the site says: "www...."". If I cancel again the page states You are not authorized to view this page.

3) Spybot will start to run but will not load (ie when I double click the icon nothing happens by the task manager I can see spybot under the processes tab but not the application tab) when listed there it is using about 2k of mem.

4) I managed to go directly to the cnet download page to download Hijack This. When trying to install the program again the process tab says it is using 2k but nothing on application and nothing seems to be installing.

5) I'm guessing because of the "password" protection of AVG and Lavasoft is why I can update either program.

I'm not sure if these problems are related but a few weeks ago I had some things located by AVG. Random pop up windows with anti virus download request. I think AVG found and healed them or moved them to the vault. I went out of town and I don't remember when the error occurred stating that AVG could not find its update manager control file.

I can't post a hijack log because I don't know how to install the program on the cpu. I don't know if you can help me, or if I just have to reformat the hard drive.

Thank you.

Advertisements