Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get a new product key please help.

• Please log in to reply

Aaron18

Aaron18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright i installed windows xp professional off my disk and enter my product key.I got a message saying "I may be using counterfeiting software".I bought this disk+product from some guy that sells computer,I'm wondering is and what number can i call to get a new product key because i don't have the money for one.Thank you

Edited by Aaron18, 03 December 2008 - 01:58 AM.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You can only legally get a genuine product key from Microsoft and it won't be free.
You should only buy a copy of Windows for self-install from a reputable software store to avoid this problem.
Many backstreet PC shops will give you a cheaper pirated copy whose CD key has already been used several times by other people,
or the key is a "cracked" one never issued by Microsoft.
In either case the key is then "blacklisted" by Microsoft who will refuse to activate it. The money you may have saved is pointless because you end up having to buy a valid key from Microsoft anyway, or another genuine retail copy from a reputable store.

Microsoft Windows Activation Centres Worldwide: http://www.microsoft...ol/numbers.mspx

Beyond this we cannot help you.