Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An observation...

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
This week at my dad's store we've just started implementing a new policy - every computer that comes in needs to have a statement signed by the customer saying that they authorize us to work on their computer. As I've observed customers over the past few days, I've noticed that a lot of people just sign the dotted line, they don't even bother to read the statement.

And people wonder why they're infected with spyware.... :)

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
That an everyday thing with just about every contract there is… :) some people are just to lazy to read all the fine print.

If you want to teach them a lesson just add into the contract by signing this form you are authorizing us to work on your computer, and if we are able to fix said computer, you authorize us to keep it.

Then when they come to pick it up tell them you fixed it, so you get to keep it ..... I bet they start reading then :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:) I bet so...I don't think that would fly with my dad tho :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am going to do that just to see what happens! :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...I showed this to dad and he went "Yeah, right" :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I am going to do that just to see what happens! :)

it sure would be fun :) but of course after a few minutes give them back there computer and let them know how important is is to read the whole thing.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

it sure would be fun but of course after a few minutes give them back there computer and let them know how important is is to read the whole thing.

I would give them the computer first so they did not think I was a politician crook.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

I would give them the computer first so they did not think I was a politician crook.

:) Yeah, really!

Something I've noticed about malware is that often, if they let you read the license agreement, there is no way to disagree. I once spent three days fighting with XPAntivirus2008 on a computer, and every time I rebooted the machine (even after cleaning out temp files and the like) the license agreement would pop up and the only button to click was "Agree and install."

tom7343

tom7343

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Gang;

I may be one of those "Sign on the dotted line" or Click "I agree" people.
Have often been to a local computer repair shop for items that are needed that are also available at the big places. Yea ..did sign a OK to repair HD once with out a thought. Feel a little better supporting those that seem genuine toward a customer.

Same when my pick up need a repair. The one thing that is most valuable is the trust involved for that to be violated leads to the question "Will I go back"?

Most of us don't have a law degree that helps understand the language of a contract, so willing to trust the nature and instincts of "Will I come Back" if satisfied.
How often do many of us read the License Agreements with software installation? I can't get beyond the 3-4 paragraphs with out a little confusion. Usually click "I agree"

Have fun
tom

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I agree - but my point is that often when people sign up for free online games, etc and never bother to read the TOU or license agreement, that's (often) when they get infected with spyware. The companies bury that deep in the confusion of the statement.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I decided to pass on doing this to my clients as one of them, a LT. COL. in the national guard, looks like he could easily remove my head with out any tools.
Plus he has a gun.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:)

Mathax

Mathax

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I could do this? :)
No dad would kill me. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got a contract that you need people to sign....just put a box at the bottom that says "click ok to continue"....they won't read a thing hehe

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

just put a box at the bottom that says "click ok to continue"....they won't read a thing hehe

thats a good one :)