Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a way to repair/replace a missing/corrupt hal.dll file withou

• Please log in to reply

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Did it technically boot? All I did was choose 2 and have a prompt. Windows didn't actually load.

What do I do about corrupted boot files?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You are going to need the recovery console.
go HERE to get RC.iso
You will have to download it and burn it as a bootable CD. You can use a program like nero, or the burncdcc (in my signature). It is a quick/ no frills program.

Once in recovery console, then you should be able to execute the chkdsk /r command.
If that does not work, we can try a couple others.

I would suspect that it did boot from the cd. If it did not, you would have gotten the hal.dll error.

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok I downloaded rc.iso from another site and also burncdcc and it worked!

Now, I put the burned copy into my brother's computer and turned it on. It said press any key to boot from CD and I did.

Now, I can set up windows or - what does this do?
Repair a windows xp installation using RC - so I select this one?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Based on the PM you sent me, I assume that the "bootfix" got the computer going???

We do not respond to PM's because we are not always at the computer. Some staff/ volunteers will request info in a PM because they are working on a specific issue which does not need to be in the post at that time. We all have other lives. Also, if the info is in the post, then others can learn from it. And there are other volunteers that can pick up a post and carry on with the assistance in the post.

Please let us know what you did and if it is repaired.

Thanks

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It was actually boot rebuild... it worked and I was able to get Windows started. Thank you! My problem was that windows couldn't start because the file hal.dll was missing or corrupt, but when I tried to fix that problem, it was telling me that, that particular file didn't exist... so I had to fix the boot.ini... the hal.dll wasn't really the problem. This is what I did:

1.Enter Windows XP Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is an advanced diagnostic mode of Windows XP with special tools that will allow you to restore the boot.ini file.

2.When you reach the command prompt, type the following command and then press Enter. bootcfg /rebuild

3.The bootcfg utility will scan your hard drives for any Windows XP installations and then display the results. Follow the remaining steps to add your Windows XP installation to the boot.ini file.

4.The first prompt asks Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All). Type Y in response to this question and press Enter.

5.The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier: This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition and press Enter.

6.The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options: Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.

7.Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.
Assuming that a missing or corrupt boot.ini file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

However, the virus still won't let me download or install needed programs to destroy it. It won't let me go to even THIS website... like it knows what will help kill it.

And last night I'm pretty sure it disabled the mouse somehow. So I'm working with just the keyboard, I just don't know what to do next.

Running a spyware remover, I deleted over 300 infections including over 20 trojans and I believe parts of the antivirus 2009 but not all. I still can't get into task manager, or certain websites so I'm stuck right now.

Edited by Leashy, 04 December 2008 - 12:47 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its good that you actually have windows running.
I would now go to our malware forum (in signature). make sure you attempt to do the prep work. Many times this will fix the system.
Be patient because they are quite busy.
Link to this Post for their referance.
Let them know that you cant connect with the problem computer. The programs you will need will have to be downloaded to another computer and then installed on the problem child.

After they clear you, they may point you back here if anything else remains.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks!

I posted in the malware forum, but I couldn't do any prep work. I can't do much of anything.