Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tower makes this broken tape sound

• Please log in to reply

cindy tubbs

cindy tubbs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the last several days my computer tower has been making strange noises whenever I log onto the internet. At first it sounded like popcorn popping inside the tower and now it sounds like a broken tape is being rewound over and over again! This problem started after I unknowingly attempted to purchase and download software from what turned out to be a disreputable company. I have McAffe Security and anti-spyware and so far there has been no report of a virus or spyware invasion. What could this be?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

For the last several days my computer tower has been making strange noises whenever I log onto the internet. At first it sounded like popcorn popping inside the tower and now it sounds like a broken tape is being rewound over and over again! This problem started after I unknowingly attempted to purchase and download software from what turned out to be a disreputable company. I have McAffe Security and anti-spyware and so far there has been no report of a virus or spyware invasion. What could this be?

I am going to make the assumption temporarily that the sound is hardware related and just a coincidence. I would look at the fans inside your comptuer and see if they are hitting anything. If you can trace the sound to a fan or drive, then that is your problem and we will work from there. If it is coming from the little speaker inside the computer. You need to go to our malware forum (here) and make a post in there as your are infected with something (as I am a trainee I can not give you any malware related help, only our support staff can). If it IS malware related, make sure you read the stickied posts at the top IN DETAIL as they will get you ready for being helped.

If you CAN isolate where the sound is coming from and it IS a hardware part. Post back and I will help you out some more.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just to be sure. Is the sound only when connected to the internet?
If so, it is probably not hardware. Notice I said probably, because who knows what a virus/ malware can do.
I would do a real good check (as already stated) to be sure your fans are not contacting anything.

Oh, and welcome to geeks to go.

cindy tubbs

cindy tubbs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, Pedrodagr8,

I removed the back to the computer and I believe I have isolated the sound. Forgive me for using simple terms, but I am not very tech savy. Immediately when I removed the back I discovered that the sound was coming from a gray box on the top right side that the power cord appears to plug into(I have a Dell XPS 200 if that makes a difference), on the bottom of the box was what appeared to be a fan and the sound seemed to come out about every 3rd spin that the fan made. I didn't notice anything abnormal blocking the fans path(although I don't know if I would recognize anything that didn't belong there). The sound seemed to stop when the tower was laying on its side but returned again as soon as the tower was upright. I attempted to blow and dust away any dust that may have collected but the sound is still there. Given that this seems to be coming from a hardware issue, my mind is resting a little easier knowing that my computer hasn't been infected with virus. Thank you for your quick response and assistance.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Okay, Pedrodagr8,

I removed the back to the computer and I believe I have isolated the sound. Forgive me for using simple terms, but I am not very tech savy. Immediately when I removed the back I discovered that the sound was coming from a gray box on the top right side that the power cord appears to plug into(I have a Dell XPS 200 if that makes a difference), on the bottom of the box was what appeared to be a fan and the sound seemed to come out about every 3rd spin that the fan made. I didn't notice anything abnormal blocking the fans path(although I don't know if I would recognize anything that didn't belong there). The sound seemed to stop when the tower was laying on its side but returned again as soon as the tower was upright. I attempted to blow and dust away any dust that may have collected but the sound is still there. Given that this seems to be coming from a hardware issue, my mind is resting a little easier knowing that my computer hasn't been infected with virus. Thank you for your quick response and assistance.

OK, that box would be the power supply (aka the PSU). It may just be a bad bearing in the fan (nothing major to worry about), but keep an eye on it because if that fan stops the PSU can overheat. Which can cause all sorts of crashes etc.