Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Old RAM probably damaged. Safe to try new RAM?

• Please log in to reply

proto-man

proto-man

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer has recently been having BSOD's, booting problems, etc. I ran memTest86+ and memTest86 (the boot versions). Both froze while scanning, so I'm guessing there might be a problem with the RAM. I have some other RAM I could try and replace the old problematic one wth, yet I'm worried about damaging the new RAM too.

Is it possible that damage could be done to the new RAM stick too, because of perhaps a faulty motherboard or something? Or would it be safe to try?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

My computer has recently been having BSOD's, booting problems, etc. I ran memTest86+ and memTest86 (the boot versions). Both froze while scanning, so I'm guessing there might be a problem with the RAM. I have some other RAM I could try and replace the old problematic one wth, yet I'm worried about damaging the new RAM too.

Is it possible that damage could be done to the new RAM stick too, because of perhaps a faulty motherboard or something? Or would it be safe to try?

Memtest doesn't usually crash with ram errors. It usually just records them and goes on.

6) My computer crashed after running MemTest for 3 hours!

MemTest cannot directly cause your computer to crash, but there are indirect reasons this can happen. There are two likely possibilities. One is that your computer detected a RAM error during the memory test, and is set to reboot when this occurs. Check your BIOS for such a setting. Alternatively, your machine overheated due to the heavy workload MemTest puts on the CPU and RAM. Check that your fans are clean and functioning properly, and find out if your motherboard comes with software to monitor CPU temperature while Windows is running.

source