Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new graphics card isnt meeting expectations or is it just me?!?

• Please log in to reply

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
on any given day my computer rates a lovely 5.0 on the vista rating thing with my aero graphics rating at 5.9 and my gaming rating at 5.8 on an nvidia 7900gs 256 mb can play any game with medium settings, gears of war, crysis, farcry2 you name it so i figured a newer card with direct x 10 would allow for better gaming so i bought n 8400 gs just a little step up i figured with direct x 10 512mb card toobut upon putting it in my vista rating drops all the way down to 3.3! and i cant play most of my games on the lowest settings i went to nvidias webstie and dled the drivers and at a glance it appears to be the same drivers that i use for my 7900 so whats going on here is that card really that bad or did i do something wrong?!?!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, you effectively downgraded your graphics cards.
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Model numbers mean little these days. These days it's all about card architecture and under the hood performance and all that stuff.

Kind of like saying you have a car registered September 2004. You go and buy a car with a September 2007 registration. Doesn't mean it's any better, you're still likely to hit something with it. :)