Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2007 spell check problem

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I have googled it and tried all the solutions, other than a reinstall, and nothing seems to work.

When I do spell check it says all is good, but I can see misspelled words. I tried the registry fix and also made sure all required items were check off. I have also made sure it was updated.

any suggestions :)

:)

Excal

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try re-installing the English dictionary and see if that fixes it. If not...

Click the Microsoft Office Button, close it, and see if spell check begins to work. There's a slight bug with spell check and the Microsoft Office Button, you need to click it once for it to start working. Note that this only applies to new installations and it will only happen once.

If that doesn't work then, if no custom spell checker have been installed on the computer, exit Word, and then backup and delete the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SharedTools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

The key will be rebuilt the next time you start Word.

Added links:

Microsoft Word 2007 spell check does not work
Microsoft Search Page

Edited by Major Payne, 03 December 2008 - 10:31 PM.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
it actually just started working by itself, go figure.

thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
:) The mysteries of gremlins! Glad it's working no matter what got it working. Have a great holiday.

Cloud13

Cloud13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've noticed something similar. Today I was helping my sister write something, and I could see misspelled words, and saw the little book with a check mark on the bottom, I clicked the book and suddenly the spell checker started working.

Hmm...