Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help deciphering email virus alerts...

• Please log in to reply

Ginmay

Ginmay

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm confused about how to handle the alerts from my A/V when I open my Outlook Express. Lately I am getting several emails a week with viruses. Norton notifies me when I open the program that an email contains a virus and it has been removed, repaired or quarantined. I never open them, just delete them out of my system.

Norton makes a backup of the file and says that it can be deleted whenever I am sure that I don't need it or if my system is working well without it. I cannot identify the files. Here are some of the files and extensions Norton is reporting:

(body dec. ) ( body.scr ) (data.txt) (details.zip) (disco.zip) (doc.pif)
(doc.scr) (file.scr) (talk.pif) (party.zip) (www.flashcard.co.)(photosalbum.scr) (readme.pif)

:tazz: I thought that I could just delete these files since they were incoming emails that contained a virus and/or file that I did not ask for or want. A complete scan indicates that I don't have any viruses on my computer.

Is it safe to just delete the backups?

I would sure appreciate any info on how to handle these backups

Thanks in advance.

Ginny

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
delete away