Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally a question

• Please log in to reply

Chaszar

Chaszar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this system for a few years, it came with ME, and until beginning of April, 2005, I really didn't have a problem that couldn't be overcome. I game mostly on this system.

In game one evening, I locked , crashed and could not even recover thru SAFE mode....had to just go ahead, finally, and install XP Pro ( I had sitting around long time undecided).

Since then, ADD/Remove notes none of my old programs, and I can, or have only used a few from the Explorer to install/run........and only have constant use of Foxfire for internet, and the game I play regularly.

However, I note that my Old 20 Gig harddrive still only has 5 Gigs left of available space, so am presuming they harddrive still is holding all my old programs, etc.; my problem is I can't /remove them thru the Add/Remove, and can't find any of their Uninstallers to remove them.

When I use Advanced System Optimizer, they show numerous duplicate files, etc. - I don't know which to delete, I can't find dates old vs new, and can't just presume to dump stuff without worry of losing the newer things that may interact with some older things.

Another question: Since I have no uninstallers found, and can't use the ADD/Remove, should I presume to just delete the old folders I know logger use, or put them in recycle bin a while then delete them?.........then do a registry clean to remove any left over entries?

Another question: since my system is old, and Adaptec Direct CD etc doesn't work with XP, should I just use the XP burner programs for my cdrw etc?

I know its alot of questions, and newb-types at that, but I am a computer-newb at heart, though willing to explore the computer workings and all.

I dread reformatting and rebooting and starting from scratch, is why I ask all the above, and prolly more to come with my exploring.

BTW, I just found your site, and have spent a few hours reading many threads, and thank you for this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you do a new install or upgrade?

Remove the programs that do not function anymore by deleting the folders in program files. Double click the EXE file in each folder to determine if they will work--those that do, create a shortcut and add it to your start menu....those that don't, delete the folder or reinstall the program. Better yet, move the folder, then reinstall the program, then determine if you need data from the old folder.

Keep them in the recyle bin for a while if you want, but better, drag them into a temporary folder (call it OLD PROGRAMS) until you're sure you don't need the data.

Yes, use WindowsXP burning

Leave the registry alone

Chaszar

Chaszar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for a fast reply.

I couldn't do anything but put in the XP disc and boot and install, didn't ask me for upgrade vs new install (that I recall), so Ilet it do its thing and install, since it was only way to get back up and running.

I will do the Temp/Old folders thing for a few weeks, then dump all, see if I can make room on the harddrive .

Thanks, now to explore how to work the Windows burner .....