Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email address possible?

• Please log in to reply

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all. I hope this is the right forum for this question and that it doesn't seem silly. I am looking into the computer forensics from the Caylee Anthony case down in Florida and see that some emails were found coming from an address that supposedly didn't exist, ending in events.universal.com. Now, universal.com does exist. It is a software company based in Canada. My question is, if there was a scam or underworld activity going on, could someone conceivably hack into universal.com and create a sub-account for mail with the address events.universal.com posing as part of Universal studios?

The reason this seems suspicious to me and I'm asking this question is that I see no sign that it was followed up further by law enforcement even though the addresses to the other recipients were valid at one time and one of the recipients is a detective at that agency that was later fired. The report simply states to such place exists and she was lying. Also, there are two people known by the accused with the same name, this email also sent to one of them. I only see one of the men by this name interviewed which seems quite strange. The woman claims to have been working for Universal so I'm wondering if she was scammed or working in an illegal fashion. The email doesn't show the full header so I can't get a clue as to where this may have come from. There are 2 emails supposedly sent from her boss(es) to her (Caylee's mother) and several co-workers, dated a few months before the little girl's disappearance.

Thanks for any insight.

Connie

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi AquarianEssence,

I am looking into the computer forensics from the Caylee Anthony case

What do you mean looking into the computer forensics? Obviously your not law enforcement or you would know the answer to your question, and you surely wouldn’t be posting evidence of the case in an open forum when there is a murder trial set for January.

I’m not quite sure where you’re going with this. Can hacking into a company and create an email account be done…. Sure, but it’s not something that is easily done by an average user.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi BHowitt.

No, I am not law enforcement. What I mean by "looking into" is, I've been reading the documents that have been released through the Freedom of information act that have been displayed on the internet at various sites. I find it curious that the detective doesn't seem to have checked into the full header of the emails in order to determine who this sender was. He simply said that the one email address doesn't exist after universal.com said they had no email addresses ending with events.universal.com. It just seems that there should be more here since they have judged the person a liar who had this email on her computer, seeming to be sent to her. The other email came from a yahoo address and that wasn't followed up on either. I suppose they could have withheld further investigations if somehow the FOIA wasn't specific enough to include this. But I assume they had asked for the computer forensics docs which would cover the followup too.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi AquarianEssence,

Oh I see…I thought you were actually working on the case or something :) . The problem with trying to follow along with cases like this is that all the facts never get released to the public. It’s typical for Law Enforcement to with hold information or only leak out certain things. I would like to think that they are pursuing everything they can from every angle. However you could be right and they overlook it, or didn’t think it was relevant to the case.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I'm not so sure they are withholding anything here. They had her tried and convicted by the end of the first day. There are hundreds of people with the "nanny's name and no sign they checked into any but one that Casey told them wasn't the right one.

So, you're saying that if someone was carrying on some sort of illicit operation they could easily use someone's server to add some email addresses and the server wouldn't be aware?

Thanks again.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

So, you're saying that if someone was carrying on some sort of illicit operation they could easily use someone's server to add some email addresses and the server wouldn't be aware?

Well… I wouldn’t say easily, and in most cases all emails are log/saved on the server. With out saying to much there are several other ways I have seen criminals use to mask email address, and I am inclined to believe that if someone had the knowledge to hack into Universal, bypass security, and add a email sub-account, they would know the other much easier ways to mask email addresses :)

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. You're a doll. I think LE needs to higher a few of you. :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
As some one who lived in the horrible state of Florida for 44 years, I can tell you that law enforcement does not look for evidence of who is guilty or not guilty.
Instead they look for a way to convict some one.
If there is evidence that suggest the person may not have committed the crime it will be covered up, not brought to light.
This is why Florida leads the Nation when it comes to people being found not to have committed crimes with new DNA evidence after serving a life time in prison.
Florida is the only state in the Nation to have executed a man who was later to be found not guilty by DNA evidence. (Goode, Arthur)

Edited by hfcg, 04 December 2008 - 06:46 PM.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That's what I'm afraid of. I also see that there are a whole lot of missing children in Florida. I wonder about human trafficing. Its so sad. But the media could keep them honest if they wanted to. Apparently they don't care to, not as sensational, perhaps. I'm glad to hear the defense has brought in a couple of the top in the country regarding forensics. At least she'll have some chance of getting a fair trial if they can get an impartial jury.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
There's also the fact that some law enforcement officers don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the Internet and computers.

In a recent case from Connecticut, a detective testified that links are javascript, and that they only change color when a user intentionally clicks them. Both facts are wrong. If a page has been visited (in any manner, whether the user visited it intentionally or it was a popup), the link may be a different color (it could also not be, as I have my site set up to do). Links may be made from javascript, but 95% of the time, they will be made with HTML.

When it comes to emails, the best (and maybe only, I"m not sure) way to make certain that an email didn't come from the account it claims to have been sent from is to check the headers. I get a ton of spam sent to me, that would appear to have been sent from me... unless someone checked the headers, in which case they would see that it came from a computer outside of the US.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Did you bring it to their attention? Maybe that's what I need to do, write the detective to ask him if he ever followed this up correctly.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Are you a family member?
I would not advice contacting one of the detectives, unless you enjoy spending hours downtown.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, not a family member, just a concerned citizen, and I'm not in Florida either but I've had the privilege of seeing police lab documents that look fraudulent, a cut and past shadow line separating the blood alcohol results from the ID. That cost someone a year in prison. Good income through fines and guaranteed jobs for the state.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
In the case I was refering to, she was found guilty, only to later have her conviction overturned, and later pled guilty to a lesser charge under a plea deal to end the ordeal. In any case, the state screwed up big time.

I didn't bring it to their attention, cuz who are the going to listen to, the police detective, or the university senior? Several professionals in the field did bring it to the Court's attention though... google "Julie Amero" if you want to find out more.

AquarianEssence

AquarianEssence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fascinating. Symantec huh??? Ok. How in the world did her attorney ever let it get that far? It's horrible that she felt forced to buckle in to a lesser charge. Any, any judge should know how much fun middle school kids have freaking the sub out. Poor lady.

Don't be shy next time. I think we the people need to be fed up with the nonsense that goes on. Sure, there are real criminals but there are also sooo many punished just to keep the system financed. You know, I was never pulled over in traffic from 16 years old until near my 50th birthday. Then I was pulled over simply because I dared to have a black woman in my car. He harassed her horribly. I was so ashamed. No, this wasn't in the 50s or 60s. This was in 2005. The only thing he could find to ticket me for was my son getting out of his car seat when I parked the car, even though he saw him stand up as he walked up to us. LE fell off the pedestal I had them on real quick that day.