Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DJ Equipment?

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Had a question and wanted to see if anyone might know.

One of my good friends son has autism. Every year he does some kind of fund raiser for autism awareness. This year he is having a hall dance party. He wants me to DJ because I have an extensive music collection. The problem is that my music collection is digital and its on my laptop. I need to find a good receiver (one that can utilize a microphone) and powerful enough speakers to let everyone hear my beautiful music :).

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Excal

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hey,

Let me ask our bookkeeper at the office. He DJs a lot, and all of his music is on his laptop. While he has a pretty extensive professional setup, I'll see if I can get him to suggest a basic setup that would work.

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
that would be great Sari, I really have no clue at this point. It isn't until January, but I need to get going on it.

:) :) :wave:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i ran the music for my wedding party off of my laptop onto the audio system of the venue for the party (music hall)...i just needed a 3.5mm audio to RCA cable to plug my laptop output into the mixer input....if the fund raiser is happening somewhere with an existing sound system you could just play your music through your laptop that way

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
already checked that, they don't have anything. Its at a legion.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

already checked that, they don't have anything. Its at a legion.

Check rental places. I know most of the rental places around me have speakers/amps/mics etc. for parties/weddings/etc. Then to hook it up, all you need is the aforementioned 3.5" to RCA adapter (dirt cheap and good for hooking your laptop up to your stereo as well).

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
was thinking I would get something permanent. That way it can be used for family parties and such

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

was thinking I would get something permanent. That way it can be used for family parties and such

How big are the rooms going to be and things like that. This will determine the amplification you need. Do you want a seperate amplifier or amplified speakers? Do you want the ability to do mixing? Cross-fading? Effects? Many of the latter can be done on the fly with a strong enough computer, but some are better done using dedicated hardware.

These are all things you need to think about.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 06 December 2008 - 07:08 PM.

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
To be honest, not 100% sure. All i need is the ability to play music from my lap top. Don't need anything fancy. Also need speakers big enough where an average hall could hear it and still be suitable for home use.

:)

Excal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Why not just use a USB Sound Card and a decent set of Speakers? I've got a set of these logitech speakers...awesome sound even at high volumes.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
wow, that actually sounds pretty cool. It has a microphone slot? 200 watt speakers pretty powerful?

Excal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Judging by the performance of the set of speakers I have, they should have no problems doing what you want them to do.

The USB sound card I linked you to has excellent reviews, but I've not used that particular device. Yes, it has a microphone jack and also one for a line input that can be used with an external device like an MP3 player.

As a side note, the Logitech speakers sound awesome on the integrated sound you have on the machine I built you. The SoundMax Blackhawk software gives you excellent control over levels, crossover points, and sound shaping.

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
thanks rich, think I am going to go that way.

:)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Or if you wanted something a little better, I've heard these speakers in the flesh... :)

Really awesome stuff!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've heard the Z 5500's, too. They are, indeed, awesome...but more than twice the price...and more than twice the wattage.

*wannabe1 is saving up for a set of those