Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSWord 2003 - Takes two tries to open files

• Please log in to reply

rickz8

rickz8

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello All,

I have a minor, yet frustrating, issue with MSWord 2003. Here's the scenario:
I have documents stored on my desktop. Normally a double click opens Word, then the file. In this case, Word opens, but then I must go back to the desktop and double click the file again, or do File>Open, then the document opens.
I have checked the association of the document ( right click Properties>Opens with...), and it is linked to Word.
Any ideas what the cause/fix is for this?
Thanks in advance,
RickZ

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Firstly, don't store the actual documents on the Desktop, their shortcuts yes, but not the actual documents. This is bad practice. All your document files should be kept in a folder or folders in 'My Documents'. Apart from anything else, this makes backing them up easier (ensuring you don't miss any) and keeps your Desktop free of unnecessary clutter. It doesn't take much more effort to open 'My Documents' first to get to your Word documents.

Does the problem still occur if you double-click a Word document located in 'My Documents'?

And does it still occur if you double-click a Desktop shortcut which points to a Word document located in 'My Documents'?