Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update is frozen

• Please log in to reply

wildchild41

wildchild41

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow there is a lot of stuff on here, tried to search for this but with 1200 pages, well I didn't find it.

My desktop has ummm shall we call them challenges? I got the Dr AntiSpy mess over a year ago and paid $140 to have the guys that built the computer clean it out but it's never really been the same since.

Periodically it just sort of degrades, gets slow, dbl click on the desktop brings up multiple windows, can't get links, the printing goes wonky, it freezes up, just becomes a headache. Usually doing an upgrade helps quite a bit but it always gets stuck at: "setup will complete in approximately 32 mins". I used shift f10 and went into taskmgr, and it shows rhe CPU at 00 for everything except, System Idle Process, which is at 99. End Process does nothing for this. I have a vague idea that I found some little trick that kept this from happening before but I'll be darned if I can find any notes I made on it - which I usually do.

How do I get this unstuck???! I've got to get this computer functional, i'm headed into court Soon and have to get docs printed and write up a statement. Later I'll get the computer into the shop but I need to keep it going another week and a half! It would be nice if I could resolve the entire thing myself but I'm running out of time and the budget would really scream if I have to buy a new computer

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the computer hasn't been the same since, maybe they did not get all of it off of there.
We need to start somewhere because you have so many issues.

I can't help you yet. Only the malware experts can help with malware.
Please go to the malware forum (link in signature). Please try to complete as many steps as possible. Most times this will fix the issue.
The malware staff will give you a clean bill of health. If any issues remain, they will send you back here.

wildchild41

wildchild41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Friday I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft because the update was frozen. Ended up disabling the printer, router and all devices (that took awhile) it finally moved past the network and finished. Now Explorer is messed up. I can't connect to links in email, screens freeze, have to use control, alt, delete to end program. But Office works OK and the printer is no longer printing double lines. I'll try out the malware forum and see if that does it. I've run a number of virus/spyware checks and all come up clean but I understand this stuff can be sneaky.
Thank you!

wildchild41

wildchild41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Don't know if this help anyone ever but just in case.
Here's how this resolved; After spend all that time and money with MS, got past the reload problem but it didn't resolve what I was trying to deal with. I was still getting multiple Explorer windows and it was freezing up constantly. So I figured best thing to do was to save the data and do a complete OS reload. Since we'd used 60 of the 80 GB on the HD already, installing a second HD seemed to make sense. I'm not a computer person so I took it into those who had put the machine together. They installed a 500 GB HD. I brought it home and couldn't find this new addition, took it back and they put a magic disk in for a minute and said maybe said some magic words - I don't know and told me all would be fine now.

But it wasn't, the OS was a mess and frozen. SOOO back into the shop, this time they are going to move my data for me and then I will reload the OS. They do this and call to tell me that the original HD is toast (nice with breakfast - not good in the computer). Alrighty, the data has been moved to the 'E' drive and I give the OK to replace the original HD.

Now I have a tetra byte of HD, Oh did I mention, had to get a new motherboard to handle all this with 2 GB RAM? Now we (meaning me and Master Card) are $700 into this. Take it home. Remember I'm not a computer person and the guys at the store are very aware of this having had quite a bit of me in their lives recently. With an air of anticipation, I pop in the Windows disk, and hit a question about formating. I call the store, "which do I choose, what does this mean?" the freindly voice on the line, tells me what to do and unbeknownst me, seals my data fate.

When all is done, I can't find the 'E' drive to reclaim the data I paid to have moved there. It's not on MyComputer, a search doesn't find any of the folders - nothing. You Guessed it - back to the shop (end count was 7 trips, I've done some condensing). They mess around and find it's in the bios (that's apparently not a biography in the sense I understand it). So what has happened?Well that formatting went on the 'E'drive and then the OS went there and away went my data. We had a long sad talk about this and about how people who are in business primarily to service those who can't do something for themselves need to be dealt with in ways to make things as idiot proof as possible. I used to sew professionally, I wouldn't expect my clients to know how to make a pattern, let alone put the garment together, if there some part they were planning to do I would make it as fail proof as possible. They did a data recovery for free (this is the data, I'd paid them to move and save for me) and recovered just under 8 GB out of 60 (20 of that would have been software) fortunately what they recovered was the irreplaceable portion. This was an expensive, stressful, time consuming, lesson.

So now we have an internal backup and will be using it religiously, new security and a wacking big MC bill.