Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run programs all the way through

• Please log in to reply

KZ700A1

KZ700A1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell computer running XP w/ SP2. I was having problems with malware/adware and MacAfee subscripton was expired so I removed it old antivirus and replaced it w/ Avast. I ran a bootscan with avast that removed the problem, but now the computer won't run any programs after startup all the way through. The machine just stops responding to all commands. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I have a 2nd computer I'm using to post on here. Thanks!!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
For clarification purposes.
Are you able to get to the desktop? In other words, does it completely boot up?

I assume that any program you click on does not respond? Is this correct?

KZ700A1

KZ700A1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The machine will startup & get to the desktop. When I click on an icon to run a program, the program will start, run for about 20 seconds, then stop repsonding.