Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup problems, need help =(. ayuda!

• Please log in to reply

Lydi

Lydi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

So.. I think i might have a virus or something. Everything was fine, but yesterday morning I tried to turn on my computer and it starts up fine, first the VAIO logo, then intel inside, and it makes that startup sound, like the fan.. its getting ready to go, but then when it gets to the intel inside logo, it weakens, and then it completely stops working and the screen turns black and it says that windows did not startup successfuly, and it could be due to a hardware or software change.. so then at the bottom it starts counting down 30 seconds or so, and then it restarts itself, but it does the same exact thing every time, it starts off fine, but then it weakens and goes to that black screen. and that black screen also has to choose to start in safe mode, but it does the same thing anyways. i don't know what to do =(
My computer is a Sony VAIO VGC-RA700 Series, Windows XP

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
First try bringing up the 'Advanced Startup Options" by powering up the PC and immediately tapping repeatedly on the F8 key. It should halt at a black screen with white text containing a numbered startup menu. Using the up/down arrow keys, select "Last known good configuration" and press [Enter].

If that doesn't work, bring up the same menu again and this time choose "Safe Mode" and press [Enter]

If Windows starts in safe mode (it'll look a bit strange but that's usual for safe mode) but won't start in normal mode, it's almost always a sign that you've recently installed an application or (more commonly) a device driver
that's not totally compatible with your operating system. Whilst in safe mode you need to remove the offending application or device driver (and the actual device until you get hold of a compatible driver for it).

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 05 December 2008 - 08:44 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
When it reboots, keep tapping F8 to get to safe mode. Try last known good configuration. Also safe mode. Safe mode will look real weird. Do not worry because safe mode loads all generic drivers.

We need to stop the reboot so we can get the full error message.
If you get to safe mode, go to start/ control panel/ system properties/ advanced tab.
Under "startup and recovery" click on settings.
Under system failure, I need you to uncheck the "automatically restart".

Have you installed any new hardware or software?

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Neither of them work, it keeps doing the same thing, starts up partially, and restarts itself again.. when I click on safemode the screen is still black and it scrolls down with white text that says

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

it says the same thing on every line, except on the last part after System32\DRIVERS\ it changes.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
=(

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like your boot.ini file is messed up.
This line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
indicates, that the system is looking at 2nd partition to find Windows.
Usually, Windows is installed on 1st partition.
You'll have to access Windows Recovery Console to run BOOTCFG /Rebuild command
How to: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp
You'll be especially interested in chapter: Invalid boot.ini

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You will need your windows install CD for the recovery console.
If you do not have that, you can download the recovery console iso image from HERE

Then follow what was given in the previous post.
You will need to burn the iso to a CD and boot from the cd. I like the Burncdcc (in signature) to do this.

EDIT: First link went to the wrong spot (corrected)

Edited by 123Runner, 07 December 2008 - 08:05 AM.

redlion

redlion

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry to butt in, but I a desperate!

I had a similar problem. Got a virus, booted up into safe mode, ran software, removed virus....then could not boot up normally. It would only boot to safe mode. Period.

I have not even gone to bed yet...lol Not until I get this fixed. I am begging for help now from you, as this is the only forum I have found that is even halfway intelligent.

I did try and repair the issue with my original XP set up....now I cannot get even safe mode up to check what the problem is....It keeps sending me back to "Initializing set up...cannot start from safe mode restarting set up now." Then I end up in exactly the same place, circling around and around.

About 3am this morning....I reprogammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version), so at least I can get to the internet. At this point....I would just be happy to recover my Office software off of that old set up.

I don't have that disc, or it could be in Indiana, who knows? I just relocated back to this area and am desperate to get a job...I seriously need Microsoft Office to get at my resume...oh and some pdf files that were my pride and joy....Great Letters of Recommendation...lol

Is there a way to get back into that original operation? Or if nothing else, recover files?

Help, help, help!

Oh yeah..I did try that article suggestions also...but my system did not recognize the Boot.ini file....

Thank you so much...your forum at least gave me hope...

Redlion

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
redlion,

1st welcome to geeks to go.
The very first thing you need to do is create a new topic. Even though what your computer issue is may be similar, the end result may be different. Also your problem will get buried in this 1 with no response.

redlion

redlion

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
You know, that makes perfect sense right now...haven't slept all night, think I was so excited to find that someone is even close to my drama I didn't think about it.

Posting new topic now!

Thank you!