Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing partitions

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I had to do a clean re install of XP. Everything is working again but the programs that I have on a second and third partition are not accessible in add and remove and programs on the C: drive also don't show up there. The only programs in add/remove are those I added after the re-install. How do I uninstall programs at this point in all partitions. I can see them listed in explorer but I don't think just doing a delete while in explorer is the correct answer. The older programs also don't show up in the startup list which seems odd as I would have thought the entire C drive would have been formatted during XP reinstall, removing programs. I didn't get the usual screen asking me if I wanted to format the drive so that may be the source of my problem. Should I start over with another reinstall?

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
When you reinstalled Windows, all of the programs that were installed on separate partitions will not be seen by Windows because there are no references to them in the Windows Registry. You can just delete all of the files on your separate partitions, or reinstall the programs.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am not really sure what you did as your "clean install".
A install and format would have wiped the drive clean. You would not see any of your old programs in explorer. And even though you have programs on a 2nd and 3rd partition (I assume on same physical drive), they will not be accessable (as previously stated).

A repair install would have left data, programs, personal settings intact. SEE HERE ON HOW TO REPAIR XP

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I booted with my XP cd, did NOT choose repair. The odd thing is that three weeks ago when I did that to my laptop, I had a choice which asked me if I wanted to format. This time there was no mention of FAT32, no choice to format. Where did I make a wrong turn this time? I would have liked a totally clean slate to start with, as I have all my data and programs backed up.