Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

matt__56

matt__56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got my PC back from the fat guy about a week ago. For those of you who may not remember my last 'ahem' difficulty with my PC, it was the HDD. Blew up. Joy. Anyway. Back to the topic. I got my 'fantastic' fixed PC back. I downloaded a lot since last time I used it, so I've been stuck on this old Dell. Anyway, I put my PC onto the desk and plugged it in. Turn on. IT WORKS! And so it should. So I spend the next few hours playing some GTA until finally I get bored and shift my PC back to it's prior position. On the floor of our garage. This is so I don't just abandon all the downloads I have spent so many painful hours starting. Present time: I haul my PC out of the garage and onto the desk. Plug in. Turn on. And...NOTHING. The screen is black. The colour of death. And Failure. I try changing moniters. Nothing. I try changing the cord which plugs into the box and the screen. Nothing. So my question is this: What is wrong? This is the second time I've used it since I got it back from the fat man who smells of chips in the fixing store and it doesn't work. Well, I looked inside and everything is in place. I'm confused, annoyed and not to happy. I was looking forward to playing some actual games, not this flash crap which I am now forced to play on account of the fact that I am currently on a five year old Dell.

Anyway, if anyone could get back to me ASAP, that would be GREAT.
Thanks all.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if you get nothing at all that would point to a power issue.... either the power supply or possibly the power at your place. Now why would it suddenly not work? Cheap or just a bad luck power supply or it's getting a surge... it could also be the motherboard and/or processor.... if you are getting some "life" ie fans, lights etc, please tell us exactly what...

matt__56

matt__56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, I'm getting lights, fans, all the noises, however the start-up beap does not sound. The disk tray goes in and out. My house does have pretty dodgy electrics, but I've had the same PC for 2 years and the PC I am currently working on is opposite the one which is dead. After reading some other posts, I'm thinking it's something to do with Mobo. Hey, if it is, any suggestions on what to get?? I've currently got a AMD Athlon 64. It can't run The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion :)
Anyway, I'll take it back up to the fat man at the counter and pay $70 for him to check it out.

Cheers
Matt__56

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah if it's not the power supply ( which it is possible as some just have dodgy voltage levels ) then it looks like a motherboard... As far as a recommendation.... are you going to replace the processor also then? you may want ot make another post asking for suggestions.... some don't read a post that someone else is helping with and I couldn't really recommend anything as far as gaming.... just not that deep into it.... The only graphics the game I've been playing lately has is a stadium ( it's a baseball sim )