Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer automatically shuts down and i don't know why

• Please log in to reply

Dragonwarrior

Dragonwarrior

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a virus that damaged my hard drive from overdone reboots. I had to get a new Hard drive and before i had 250 Gig hard drive now that i bought a new one the repair man installed it and i got a 500 Gig hard drive. It started working fine and is working fine but i am having two problems.

1. The PC shuts down sometimes
2. When i try to send an e-mail with a file 2mb or larger it cancels my upload

What can be wrong with my PC? Could it be that i need new RAM? or more? i currently only have a 1.43 Ram

Thanks anyone that could help, would be great!

, Tony

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Last I heard you can reboot a computer until the cows come home with very little side-effects. You're more likely to see real damage when the thing isn't even on such as when you leave it plugged in during a thunderstorm.

1) Power supply issue or graphics card problem.
2) Internet Provider limitation.

If the problems only started since you took the system in, take it back. He won't be able to do anything about the upload email if its an internet provider limitation though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Could also be a temperature issue. The CPU overheating. The heatsink/ fan could have been bumbed.

Dragonwarrior

Dragonwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, i have my computer connected to a power regulator (So it protects it from power outages and such) but I'm thinking it could be the power too. But usually when it's the power our lights flicker and then the PC turns off but the lights didn't flicker so we didn't get any surge. Regarding the e-mails i know it has something to do with my PC because i am able to work normally on my brother's laptop (Which we share the same internet) As for overheating, i have 3 fans in my PC so I'm not sure if its heating problems :/ My only guess is hardware problems? But i already bought a new Hard drive, i really hope i don't need to buy a newer part. My computer runs fun normally since i had my computer repaired 3 weeks ago, the PC only has shut off twice (The first time was because of a surge) the second time there was no surge.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
123Runner is not referring to your case fans. He is referring to the Processor heatsink/fan.

When you last took it into repair, the processor fan may have gotten bumped or moved enough to break the bond of the thermal paste between the processor and heatsink/fan. If this bond breaks, the processor will overheat... very quickly. The result will be your computer will shut off. If it is the processor overheating, and you continue to try to run it in that state, you will kill the processor very soon.

As Neil Jones suggested, take your machine back to the repair shop if it was only recently that you got it back.