Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Synaptics touchpad - PLEASE help!

• Please log in to reply

TwoBrokenWyngs

TwoBrokenWyngs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I am at the end of my rope with my laptop's touchpad. I can not disable the tap-to-click option, and because of this I am CONSTANTLY clicking on things every time I type or do anything.

Also, the scroll does not work.

I have searched through all of the mouse options and there is not one single option anywhere for tapping or scrolling.

I have updated the driver. I have uninstalled the driver and tried installing an older version of the driver. I can't find anything that will give me these options, no matter which drivers I install.

I am using Windows XP, on a Dell Inspiron 6000. According to the hardware tab, I am using a Synaptics PS/2 Pointing Device.

Please, please, PLEASE help! Please!

Edited by TwoBrokenWyngs, 04 December 2008 - 11:39 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
My brother has an Inspiron 6000, and there is no way to turn it off (that I have found.) On my laptop (a Spartan) there is a function key to turn the touchpad off, but I haven't found any on the Inspiron 6000. If you have a USB mouse you could try disabling the touchpad all together in the device manager.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
There are settings for the Synaptics Touchpads to turn off tapping. I am guessing you are not looking in the right place. Go to "Control Panel" then right click on "Mouse" . There should be a tab called "Device Settings" In the window labeled Devices your Synaptics Touchpad version should be there. Make sure it is highlighted and the under the Window click on the "Settings" button. All of your Synaptics Touchpad options are there.