Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problems

• Please log in to reply

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, I need help again. Computer starts up, brings up a blue screen with 2 users. After entering a password, normal messege comes up that it is "loading personal setings", desktop flashes, blue screen with 2 users comes back and under the user I was logging in it says "logging off..."

All attempts to start it in the save mode from HD bring me to the same screen with the same issue. What can be done without reinstalling OS. I have a feeling that this is a VM issue.... Please, please help!!!!

Advertisements

Computer Dr

Computer Dr

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Get Winternals 2005 or up and boot off this disk and do a repair or system restore.
See if it has an option to add user. This is usually from corrupt registry.

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am able to boot it up in the safe mode from HD, it seems to be working fine. What should I be looking for? The eventviewer is inconclusive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If this issue has been a fairly recent problem, run a System Restore from Safe Mode to a date before the problem began. If doing this doesn't allow a normal startup, then create a new user account while in Safe Mode and see if you can log on to Windows normally using the new account.

What makes you suspect a VM issue?

wannabe1

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
1. For the past week this computer has been active extremely strange: almost every time I tried to attach a Word document in Outlook - it hung up throwing the ftdisk (I hope I'm right) error in the even viewer, saying something about crash dump and page file being to small. Page file is set to 768mb with 512 RAM. For some reason defrag seemed to help a little bit. I have also seen this ftdisk error previously, but the comp was working fine....

2. Yesterday I tried to boot it up from the Safe mode with "last known good configuration" - the same problem happened and after I rebooted and tried to get into Safe mode normally - this problem happened again and it won't let me log in.

3. Luckily prior to that I was able to transfer all of the necessary data to the external drive, so in case this computer is dead, my behind is covered :)

4. When I was able to log in Safe mode (with network), I ran Adaware and Spybot, healed/got rid of a couple of errors, one of which was trojan.

5. I did not do what Computer Dr had suggested.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried running a System Restore?

I've seen bad RAM modules cause similar problems...let's check that, too.

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create the bootable cd as outlined under "Quick Start Information". Boot the machine to this disk and let it run a minimum of four complete passes. Let us know if it reports any failures.