Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows problem

• Please log in to reply

popsicleman

popsicleman

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi, just recently i have been having this problem when i started up a game it went to a black screen (just loading) then it flashed a blue screen for like a half a second and then a black screen came up and said to insert the windows disk and press enter, so i pressed enter but without the disk knowing that it probably wont work if i put the disk in anyway but after i press enter it just says it again so i restart my pc then it will just say it again. but then i completely shut it down and it started to work but is annoying when it happens so if anyone can help me with this problem that would be awesome.

"edit"
it says insert system disk.

Edited by popsicleman, 06 December 2008 - 06:50 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi popsicleman ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
does this happen only when you try to play a game...if so, what game..

popsicleman

popsicleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it happens so often now, but i tried a windows disk when it happen brought me to the windows installation process and i dont really want to install windows again but when i try the repair option it says that there are no drives to repair and to answer your question no, it happens randomly sometimes when im playing a game like just not to long ago i was playing World of warcraft and it happened.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets see if its the hard drive causing the problem

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check....

NOTE..DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS..
this can take a long time and may even appear to hang at a % and stay there for 20 or 30 minutes ...it may even back up and redo a section...this is OK..

popsicleman

popsicleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi, i tried that check thing and it didn't work. i tried putting the windows disk in and pressed enter on the windows set up and it said that there weren't any drives.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you still boot up at all...if so...
click on my computer...right click on C drive if thats where windows is installed to..then click on the tools tab...
after putting checks in the 2 boxes click on start...it will tell it can't do it right now but do you want to do this at the next boot...say yes and shutdown and reboot...

Edited by happyrock, 12 December 2008 - 07:21 PM.

popsicleman

popsicleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi, sadly this is not working i did it but it would freeze on phase 4 but i tried it again and it just froze again at phase 4 24%. but i dont know if this will help or not but when i try to install a crysis patch it asks for the system disk like before.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you read this in my previous post...
NOTE..DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS..
this can take a long time and may even appear to hang at a % and stay there for 20 or 30 minutes ...it may even back up and redo a section...this is OK..

how long did you leave it after it apperared to hang...it can take a loooong time...

popsicleman

popsicleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi. it hanged on 0% for about an hour or 2 on 24% for like an hour is it supposed to hang that long?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes...let it run...even if it takes 8 hours to complete...let it run overnite if necessary

popsicleman

popsicleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i got another problem... like usual, well i cant the video drivers in when i use the disk sometimes it will freeze up but sometimes it will complete but wont work the windows will be etchy when i move them still and when i install drivers from the site it still wont work my card is a evga 8800 gt just in case you need to know.