Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems linking to my home page

• Please log in to reply

sylvia1511

sylvia1511

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am building a website and so far have 3 pages done. (I am using frontpage)
I have put a 'back' link on page 2 and it works fine and goes back to the home page. I tried putting another link on page 3 saying 'home' and set the target as home.htm which is my home pages name, when I click ctrl and mouse to check it it says that home.htm cannot be found, I have searched the net and all info says same and I have followed it and its still the same, I cant seem to link back to my home page, I dont knw what I am doing wrong and have been struggling for hours now, can someone please help me with instructions in plain english as I am new to all this, Thanks Sylvia. :tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Make sure all your .htm files are in the same folder. If they aren't then you have specify the path to the file in the link rather than just <A href="home.htm"> You would have to do something like <A href="../home.htm"> or something along those lines. Also you will have to name your homepage index.htm or default.htm.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

Make sure all your .htm files are in the same folder.  If they aren't then you have specify the path to the file in the link rather than just <A href="home.htm">  You would have to do something like <A href="../home.htm"> or something along those lines.  Also you will have to name your homepage index.htm or default.htm. 

View Post

Some servers allow home.htm to be a homepage. My server says it will use the following in order of priority:

index.*,home.*,main.*,start.*,begin.*

*can be XML, HTML, HTM, CGI, or PHP.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Nice sounds good.

sylvia1511

sylvia1511

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Make sure all your .htm files are in the same folder.  If they aren't then you have specify the path to the file in the link rather than just <A href="home.htm">  You would have to do something like <A href="../home.htm"> or something along those lines.  Also you will have to name your homepage index.htm or default.htm. 

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

View Post

Thanks for all your help...problem now solved, for some reason it was not in the same folder, moved it and now all works well...thanks :tazz: