Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Hardrive and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your motherboard probably has two IDE channels. One is the Primary, and one is the Secondary. It really doesn't make a difference what channel you use, although "normally", Harddrives reside on the Primary IDE, and things like CDRoms reside on the Secondary.

If you want, you can swap the IDE cables on the motherboard end to change what channel the harddrive resides. However, you have to be cautious when you do this as the motherboard is delicate (well not so much you can't work with it), so just be careful putting any kind of undue pressure anywhere. The cables are also keyed (sometimes), and the IDE cables are also polarized... you will see a red line on one side of the cable indicating pin 1. Take a note of how the cables are connected to the motherboard, and what side the red line is. Like I said though, it really doesn't matter one way or the other if you just leave everything as is.

If you don't want to bother with changing the cables, just continue with DiskWizard.

Edited by makai, 12 December 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Your motherboard probably has two IDE channels. One is the Primary, and one is the Secondary. It really doesn't make a difference what channel you use, although "normally", Harddrives reside on the Primary IDE, and things like CDRoms reside on the Secondary.

If you want, you can swap the IDE cables on the motherboard end to change what channel the harddrive resides. However, you have to be cautious when you do this as the motherboard is delicate (well not so much you can't work with it), so just be careful putting any kind of undue pressure anywhere. The cables are also keyed (sometimes), and the IDE cables are also polarized... you will see a red line on one side of the cable indicating pin 1. Take a note of how the cables are connected to the motherboard, and what side the red line is. Like I said though, it really doesn't matter one way or the other if you just leave everything as is.

If you don't want to bother with changing the cables, just continue with DiskWizard.

I could swap them anytime after I've completed the reformat and OS installation right?

Also, I went ahead and selected the Secondary and then clicked next. I'm now getting the following message:

'A hard drive installed with another disk partitioning software was found on your system.
Installation cannot continue unless the driver is replaced with Ontrack's Dynamic Drive Overlay.'

Then there is a checkbox I can check for Convert to Ontrack Format.

Edited by konakula29er, 12 December 2008 - 11:18 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Awesome! Have fun!

I am :)

OK, I am now at the DiscWizard screen on the tab titled, 'Motherboard Controller'. I have a question here. The picture you provided of this same screen in your post showed your mouse arrow over the 'Primary Master FUJITSU MHT2080AH 80 GBYTES' drive. On my screen 'Primary Master' cannot be selected as there is no drive there, but under 'Secondary Master' mine shows ST340014A 40 GBYTES. I believe I should select that option and continue, I'm just curious as to why my HD is not listed under the Primary Master but is listed under the Secondary Master?

It means that your HD is connected to the Secondary IDE channel instead of the Primary. Not a bid deal, it just means the same thing as channel 1 and channel 2. Though if you want to change it. You can go to the motherboard and swap which IDE port the drive's cable plugs into (the other port will more than likely be attached to your CD drives).

Doh got beat to the punch.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 12 December 2008 - 11:20 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I could swap them anytime after I've completed the reformat and OS installation right?

Yes you can.

Don't install Dynamic Overlay. Sometimes Windows doesn't like it. Just cancel the message, go back to the Main Menu window, and try again.

Did you zero the drive? Try zeroing it again... just use "Quick"

Edited by makai, 12 December 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Yes you can.

Don't install Dynamic Overlay. Sometimes Windows doesn't like it. Just cancel the message, go back to the Main Menu window, and try again.

Did you zero the drive? Try zeroing it again... just use "Quick"

OK, I'm moving right along here. Installing Windows XP now and came to a screen that gave me the following choices:

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

What do you recommend?

Also, when you talk about the drivers for the chipset, what exactly is a chipset? Is it the CPU?

Edited by konakula29er, 12 December 2008 - 01:14 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Awesome! Have fun!

I am :)

OK, I am now at the DiscWizard screen on the tab titled, 'Motherboard Controller'. I have a question here. The picture you provided of this same screen in your post showed your mouse arrow over the 'Primary Master FUJITSU MHT2080AH 80 GBYTES' drive. On my screen 'Primary Master' cannot be selected as there is no drive there, but under 'Secondary Master' mine shows ST340014A 40 GBYTES. I believe I should select that option and continue, I'm just curious as to why my HD is not listed under the Primary Master but is listed under the Secondary Master?

It means that your HD is connected to the Secondary IDE channel instead of the Primary. Not a bid deal, it just means the same thing as channel 1 and channel 2. Though if you want to change it. You can go to the motherboard and swap which IDE port the drive's cable plugs into (the other port will more than likely be attached to your CD drives).

Doh got beat to the punch.

LOL, thanks though. I can always use a second opinion!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since you had DiskWizard format the drive, select Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

The chipset driver is required so that windows can correctly communicate with motherboard devices... basically communicate with things on the bus...vidcard, usb, etc.

...what exactly is a chipset? Is it the CPU?

whoops! Just realized I didn't answer your question... No, it's not the CPU. The chipset is really the Northbridge and Southbridge. These are ICs (integrated circuits) located on the motherboard, and if you look at the motherboard, you'll see some fairly large ICs there compared to other smaller ones... maybe around 3/4" to 1.5" square. The CPU communicates with the North/South bridge.

Edited by makai, 12 December 2008 - 01:39 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Since you had DiskWizard format the drive, select Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

The chipset driver is required so that windows can correctly communicate with motherboard devices... basically communicate with things on the bus...vidcard, usb, etc.

Gotcha on both accounts.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
OK, to verify...looks like the Chipset driver would be:

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets 6.3.0.1007 12/16/2004
Installs INF files that inform the OS how to properly configure the Intel® 810/815/820/830/840/852/855/860/E8870 Chipset families.

and the Video (Graphic) driver would be:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe) 14.10.3 6/28/2005
Installs graphic drivers version 14.10.3 for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® 845G chipsets.

Correct?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
By the way, I'm at home now, so I'll be able to sit here and monitor your progress and this thread. I'll be roasting some coffee at the same time so if I don't answer almost immediately, I'll at least be able to answer within a few minutes.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
800 series drivers... You got it correct!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

800 series drivers... You got it correct!

Sweet!

I have to head out for the rest of the afternoon. I'll post when I return this evening to let you know how the OS install went.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I'll check back later on.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Ok, I'll check back later on.

The OS install went smoothly.

I checked the devmgmt.msc and found the following under the category 'Other Devices':

Ethernet Controller (Yellow question mark)
Multimedia Audio Controller (Yellow question mark)

I did not find any red marks at all. Does that mean those two items are the only two hardware devices that do not have drivers installed on my PC? I guess Windows installs the majority of them, that's good. Just let me know what I need to do next.

Thanks!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Great to hear Windows went in. Did you install the chipset and vid driver also?

Ok, this is where the fun begins! :)

The only driver for the Network (Ethernet) adapter that was listed in the WinAudit scan was for Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. I will do some research on this.

In the meantime, what you need to do is look inside the case to see if there is anything that can identify the motherboard... a label, a stecil, anything. We are looking for a manufacture and model number. The identification may say Intel, Asus, or some other name... too many to mention. Also, you might be able to find something by looking into the bios screens. Look in all the tabs, but normally, the manufacture/model will appear on one of the first few menus starting from the left of the screen. Also, we might be able to identify the audio device in the bios screen. After you get into bios, let me know what bios is running... Award, AMIBIOS, etc... that way, I can look up the bios screens and direct you better in finding information.

You go do that, and I'll research the network stuff.