Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Hardrive and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Ok, the link page for drivers for this motherboard is HERE.

There appears to be some different drivers than what you installed per the data we collected with WinAudit. Not to worry as what's on the linked page may be updated drivers, and sometimes the newer drivers do nothing towards operation. We'll look at that later as we check the operation of Windows.

For now, download the AC97 driver for the audio/sound and install it. (item 5 in the driver list)

As for the Ethernet, the link I originally had was from the data we took, which identifed the network device as Intel Pro/100VE. However the motherboard link identifies the LAN (network) as something different. In any case, we're going to go with whats on the motherboard link, so download the LAN software and install it. (item 6 in the driver list)

You DO NOT need to download or install any other driver on the page.

After you install, check Device manager and see if all the marks are now cleared.

I'm on it.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
:)

We are rockin' and rollin' now. WOO HOO!!!!!

:) :) :wave: :help: :)

Both drivers have been installed. There is sound and I've connected to the Internet.

You rock brutha!!!!!

Anything else needing to be done before we close this project out?

Also, I am setting this PC up for my wife. Her old PC has a video card that we installed a few years ago. I don't know if that card will be any better than what's onboard this PC here. When we watch news videos on her old PC, they run smoothly. When we tried it on this PC, it was a little jerky, so I thought I'd install her card to this newer PC.

She also has a CD-ROM Read/Write on her old PC. This one just has a DVD drive. I want to put her CD-ROM into this PC as well. Any words of advice for either of these options?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm so glad everything is working. :) :) :wave: What you've accomplished took a liitle while, but none of it was difficult. I think you can see that now.

There are still a few things I want you to check on before saying the installation is complete.

Open Device manager, scroll down, and click on the plus sign of Universal Bus Controllers. Look in the expanded list and tell me if you see an entry for “USB Enhanced Host Controller”. This will determine if we have to download the USB 2.0 driver from the driver page.

As for the video card question... I'll answer it this way. This computer is configured for only basic operation. It'll stuggle playing videos and sound together... such is the case for any legacy system with on-board vid and sound. So yes, installing the vid card from her old computer will help. But better yet, if she also has a sound card, you should install that too... providing it's a pci sound card as this motherboard does not have ISA slots. Before you install those devices, you must be sure to uninstall the onboard sound and video drivers. You must also go into bios and disable the onboard sound and video so there is no conflict with onboard running alongside installed cards. There should be no problem changing out the DVD/CD rom drives.

Also, I would like to recommend you do not connect to the internet until you have an antivirus and a firewall program installed. There are many good free antivirus programs so you don't have to purchase one. Also, Zonealarm free is a good firewall to use... much better than depending on Windows firewall.

Anyways, sorry for taking so long to respond. I was trying to think of what to write. Please do the Device manager USB check.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I'm so glad everything is working. :) :) :wave: What you've accomplished took a liitle while, but none of it was difficult. I think you can see that now.

There are still a few things I want you to check on before saying the installation is complete.

Open Device manager, scroll down, and click on the plus sign of Universal Bus Controllers. Look in the expanded list and tell me if you see an entry for “USB Enhanced Host Controller”. This will determine if we have to download the USB 2.0 driver from the driver page.

As for the video card question... I'll answer it this way. This computer is configured for only basic operation. It'll stuggle playing videos and sound together... such is the case for any legacy system with on-board vid and sound. So yes, installing the vid card from her old computer will help. But better yet, if she also has a sound card, you should install that too... providing it's a pci sound card as this motherboard does not have ISA slots. Before you install those devices, you must be sure to uninstall the onboard sound and video drivers. You must also go into bios and disable the onboard sound and video so there is no conflict with onboard running alongside installed cards. There should be no problem changing out the DVD/CD rom drives.

Also, I would like to recommend you do not connect to the internet until you have an antivirus and a firewall program installed. There are many good free antivirus programs so you don't have to purchase one. Also, Zonealarm free is a good firewall to use... much better than depending on Windows firewall.

Anyways, sorry for taking so long to respond. I was trying to think of what to write. Please do the Device manager USB check.

Opened Device Manager and expanded Universal Bus Controllers. Did not see an entry for "USB Enhanced Host Controller".

Besides the video card, she has Sound Blaster on her old PC. I'm pretty sure I still have both installation CD's for those items. I should be able to install the hardware and software in the next couple of days. Would it be alright to communicate with you about the process for uninstalling the onboard audio and video, and disabling those items from the bios?

As for the antivirus program, I've already installed Avast on this PC. I've used Avast for the past 3 years and have been very happy with it. Also, this PC is connected to a router. I've never used Zone Alarm before, although I know it's a highly recommended program. I've actually installed it on a friend's PC, but he didn't have a router connection. I thought as long as I have my PC's connected to a router, the firewall from the router would be sufficient.

When I checked the Device Manager for the USB Enhanced Host Controller, I also checked for any yellow question marks. There were none.

Makai...your assistance has been invaluable. I have learned a great deal from our collaboration and I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf. I hope to be able to do this same task with my PC now. Both that one and this are virtually identical, but if I run into any problems, I hope you won't mind further contact from me.

Just let me know if I need to d/l USB 2.0 driver. Anything else you suggest will be done as well.

Mahalo!

Greg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Would it be alright to communicate with you about the process for uninstalling the onboard audio and video, and disabling those items from the bios?

No problem! Just PM me... although, I have to warn you that although I used to be a tech here, I only vist once in awhile. However, I never leave until every thread I enter has been sufficiently serviced. I do anticipate being here for a while still since I have about 6 other open threads I'm helping in.

As for the antivirus program, I've already installed Avast on this PC. I've used Avast for the past 3 years and have been very happy with it. Also, this PC is connected to a router. I've never used Zone Alarm before, although I know it's a highly recommended program. I've actually installed it on a friend's PC, but he didn't have a router connection. I thought as long as I have my PC's connected to a router, the firewall from the router would be sufficient.

I've actually tried Avast... the jury is out against AVG 7.5 which I've been using for years too. I may have to try Avast again as AVG 7.5 support will end soon and I'll be forced to go with the very bloated and slow ver. 8.xx. I'm glad you had the smarts to install Avast straight away, although I wish you told me so I wouldn't have had to worry! LOL!!! As far as the firewall is concerned, as long as your router/hardware firewall is set up you should be fine with that alone.

Makai...your assistance has been invaluable. I have learned a great deal from our collaboration and I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf. I hope to be able to do this same task with my PC now. Both that one and this are virtually identical, but if I run into any problems, I hope you won't mind further contact from me.

Thank you for the comment. However, you aren't the only one that learns through this kind of effort. I too learn and sharpen my knowlege by having to answer your questions. So thank you also! Yes, you can contact me anytime you have any questions regarding the installs.

Just let me know if I need to d/l USB 2.0 driver. Anything else you suggest will be done as well.

Yes, you should download and install the USB driver. But first, I want you to create a System restore point before installing it. I don't know why, I just have a feeling you should. After you install the driver, check Device manager for the Enhanced entry and let me know what you see.

Mahalo

"???" You know, its funny that when I first noticed your name konakula29er, I thought you might have ties to Hawaii because Kona and Kula are both names of cities in Hawaii. So... I went on the net and looked up your name... and found out it was the name of a bike! I thought to myself, "ok, maybe he's not from Hawaii"! In any case, it was fun and you're very welcome!

makai

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Mahalo

"???" You know, its funny that when I first noticed your name konakula29er, I thought you might have ties to Hawaii because Kona and Kula are both names of cities in Hawaii. So... I went on the net and looked up your name... and found out it was the name of a bike! I thought to myself, "ok, maybe he's not from Hawaii"! In any case, it was fun and you're very welcome!

makai

Well, it just so happens I do have ties to Hawaii. I was born in Honolulu, but lived there for only a short time. My father (the Hawaiian side of the family) was a Marine and was stationed at Kaneohe prior to serving in Vietnam. After his tour of duty, he transferred to El Toro in Southern California. He chose not to relocate our family back to Hawaii after he was discharged for various reasons, so I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. I have a ton of family on the islands and have visited quite often.

I love mountain biking (MTB) and when it was time for me to buy a new bike a year ago, I really got hooked on the Kona brand. The name itself was the 'grabber' for me. It's the best bike I've ever had. I've done my best to run it into the ground, but like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going.

I'll keep in touch until all is completed with this project.

Aloha,

Greg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Well, it just so happens I do have ties to Hawaii. I was born in Honolulu

Eh, brah... what a coincidence, I was born in Honolulu too! I've lived in LA since 1982 though, and truthfully, I don't know why I'm still here! I need to visit Hawaii as I haven't been back for about 7 years, and actually, I'm going next year.

I'll keep in touch until all is completed with this project.

Sounds good to me!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Makai...while searching for the USB 2.0 driver on the Internet, I checked the Device Manager expanding Universal Serial Bus controllers and found the following:

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Now, I don't know where these came from because they sure weren't there when I first checked yesterday, but now that they are there, does that mean the USB 2.0 driver has been installed, or do I still need to find it and d/l it?

Thanks,

Greg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have been following this thread because it was very interesting, but did not want to add anything because makai was on a roll.

To answer your question, yes, the USB enhanced is installed. This will usually happen after a reboot or the update to SP2. I do not remember if you did SP2.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I have been following this thread because it was very interesting, but did not want to add anything because makai was on a roll.

To answer your question, yes, the USB enhanced is installed. This will usually happen after a reboot or the update to SP2. I do not remember if you did SP2.

Thanks for the reply. I did SP2 and SP3, so that must have done the trick.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, since 123runner has cleared up the USB question, there's not much more for me to add... maybe this...

Summary of this thread…

Op wanted to format and Install Windows XP

Ran Aida32 and WinAudit to discover hardware and licenses
Not all hardware is identified. Discovered Licenses could not be used.
Formatted hard drive with manufactures disk utility
Puny little 40GB hard drive automatically formatted :)
Installed Windows
OP required very little help
Installed INF Chipset driver
Driver downloaded from info gained during hardware discovery
Op needed no help to install
Installed Video Driver
Device manager used to identify missing driver installations
Ethernet and Audio driver missing/unidentified
Pictures help to discover make and model number of Motherboard
Helper gets excited, OP laughs at helper!
Ethernet and Audio are identified, downloaded, and installed.
After 60+ replies, 473+ reads, the helper feels stupid he didn’t ask for photos earlier in the thread!
Such is the business of communication through open forums. Writing makes you dumb and blind!
Op has reported that Windows is up and running with all clear in Device manager.
OP has installed SP2 and SP3 Udates
Windows is Done!
Hopefully, it continues to work… but then, we all know how that goes!!!

Take care, Greg... it was a lot of fun!
Aloha!!!

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Well, since 123runner has cleared up the USB question, there's not much more for me to add... maybe this...

Summary of this thread…

Op wanted to format and Install Windows XP

Ran Aida32 and WinAudit to discover hardware and licenses
Not all hardware is identified. Discovered Licenses could not be used.
Formatted hard drive with manufactures disk utility
Puny little 40GB hard drive automatically formatted :)
Installed Windows
OP required very little help
Installed INF Chipset driver
Installed Video Driver
Device manager used to identify missing driver installations
Ethernet and Audio driver missing/unidentified
Pictures help to discover make and model number of Motherboard
Helper gets excited, OP laughs at helper!
Ethernet and Audio are identified, downloaded, and installed.
After 60+ replies, 473+ reads, the helper feels stupid he didn’t ask for photos earlier in the thread!
Such is the business of communication through open forums. Writing makes you dumb and blind!
Op has reported that Windows is up and running with all clear in Device manager.
OP has installed SP2 and SP3 Udates
Windows is Done!
Hopefully, it continues to work… but then, we all know how that goes!!!

Take care, Greg... it was a lot of fun!
Aloha!!!

Great summary! It was a project worth doing and an education worth obtaining, that's for sure. Thanks for walking me through it. Till next time, have a great holiday.

Aloha :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Great summary! It was a project worth doing and an education worth obtaining, that's for sure. Thanks for walking me through it. Till next time, have a great holiday.

Aloha thumbsup.gif

Well, I'm sure you'll have no problems redoing the second computer (or any computer) now that you know what to look for. If you ever need help again with something, just create a post and drop me a PM. You have a great holiday too! :)

makai

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Extending post a few days.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts