Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformatting Hardrive and installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Extending post a few days.

???????? :)

:)

Was afraid this thread would disappear before I was able to get around to reformatting the other PC.

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Extending post a few days.

???????? :)

:)

Heya,

Success! The Seagate utility ran fine this morning. Rather than switching floppy drives, I unplugged the floppy that was having the problem, plugged everything back in and viola, it worked. I am now installing Windows XP.

So, since you teased me about having such a puny 40GB HD, I managed to secure an additional puny 40 GB HD and believe I can put that in this PC as well. Is it just a matter of installing the HD, plugging in the right power cable to the HD then running the Seagate DiscWizard utility and installing Windows XP to that HD? If I can do that, then I would only be half as puny as before, LOL. I hope it's as simple as I think it should be.

Greg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
And what are you attempting to do?
Do you have 1 hard drive (40gb) with XP on it?
Is it booting up?

Are you just attempting to add another 40gb drive as an additional drive? As a slave?
If so, all you need to do is format it and you are good to go. No OS is required on a slave drive.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

And what are you attempting to do?
Do you have 1 hard drive (40gb) with XP on it?
Is it booting up?

Are you just attempting to add another 40gb drive as an additional drive? As a slave?
If so, all you need to do is format it and you are good to go. No OS is required on a slave drive.

I do already have a HD with XP on it and it's working fine. I am just wanting to add another HD as an additional drive. Sounds like I need to add it as a slave (secondary) drive. Should I use the same Seagate DiscWizard utility I used to format the primary drive on this additional (slave) drive as well?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hey Greg!

Glad you got the floppy working!

Ok, I retract all the "puny drive" remarks I ever made! NOT! :)

Should I use the same Seagate DiscWizard utility I used to format the primary drive on this additional (slave) drive as well?

Once you add the drive as a slave, you can have Windows format it for you. Since it's only 40gb, it won't take long. After Windows boots, just go to MyComputer, right-click on the slave drive and choose format... Quick Format will work fine. Be sure to set the jumper position on your Windows OS drive to "master", and on the additional 40gb drive you're adding, set the jumper position to "slave".

Edited by makai, 05 January 2009 - 08:15 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hey Greg!

Glad you got the floppy working!

Ok, I retract all the "puny drive" remarks I ever made! NOT! :)

Should I use the same Seagate DiscWizard utility I used to format the primary drive on this additional (slave) drive as well?

Once you add the drive as a slave, you can have Windows format it for you. Since it's only 40gb, it won't take long. After Windows boots, just go to MyComputer, right-click on the slave drive and choose format... Quick Format will work fine. Be sure to set the jumper position on your Windows OS drive to "master", and on the additional 40gb drive you're adding, set the jumper position to "slave".

Hah, glad to provide you with a hardy laugh for the day. :) One of these days I'm going to build my own PC (per the thread here at geekstogo) and then I'll really impress you. Till the, I gotta learn all I can.

Now, how exactly do I add this additional drive as a slave? I know I need to plug a power cable (not sure if those are called IDE cables or not) into the back of the new HD. When I look at the HD that's already in there, I see 2 cables plugged in there - one a wide, grey cable and the other made up of red, black and yellow wires. If I follow the wide, grey cable that's connected to the HD already installed, I see that it ends with another, similar connector. Do I plug that one into the back of the new HD (so in other words, are the 2 HD's plugged into the same wide, grey cable)?

Also, as for the cable/plug that has the red, black and yellow wires, if you follow that one you see additional plugs/connectors that aren't being used. So is it just a matter of plugging in the same cables that are plugged into the original HD? (I've got to apologize here because my PC parts terminology sucks).

Lastly, what the heck is a 'jumper position'? Where do I find it?

Thanks,

Greg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
The wide flat ribbon cable you will connect to the "new" hard drive. One end of the cable connects to the board. The middle connector is for the slave and the primary (has the OS on it) is on the end.
Watch the pin configuration. The connector is keyed and the connector on the hard drive has a missing pin.
The other cable is the power cable. Any spare cable will work. There are usually extras. They are also keyed (can only go in one way). One side is angled.

The jumpers that are being talked about are for CS (cable select), M (master), and S (slave).
Ignore them for now because it will take a little more explaining. Hook it up and see if windows sees the drive. Follow the instructions that Makai gave. If the drive is not seen, then we will have to get into the jumpers.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

The wide flat ribbon cable you will connect to the "new" hard drive. One end of the cable connects to the board. The middle connector is for the slave and the primary (has the OS on it) is on the end.
Watch the pin configuration. The connector is keyed and the connector on the hard drive has a missing pin.
The other cable is the power cable. Any spare cable will work. There are usually extras. They are also keyed (can only go in one way). One side is angled.

The jumpers that are being talked about are for CS (cable select), M (master), and S (slave).
Ignore them for now because it will take a little more explaining. Hook it up and see if windows sees the drive. Follow the instructions that Makai gave. If the drive is not seen, then we will have to get into the jumpers.

OK, we'll give it a shot. Thanks for the instructions.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

OK, I connected the ribbon cable as you said (middle connector for the slave and end connector for the primary with the OS on it) and also the power cables.

Booted up the PC and kept getting the screen that begins:

We apologize for the inconvenience...

blah, blah, blah

Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

"Start Windows normally" <----this is highlighted

Then the system counts down from 25.

I hit enter for it to "start Windows normally" and it does the same thing over again. So, I disconnected all cables and reconnected the primary HD only (end connector of ribbon cable and power cable connected). Booted up PC, it booted to Windows XP. So, I then connected 2nd HD with middle ribbon connector and power cable. Booted up PC and got the same message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience" etc, etc, etc.

Does that mean that Windows is not recognizing the new HD?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you set the jumpers for master and slave?

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Did you set the jumpers for master and slave?

Nope, I followed 123Runner's instructions hoping Windows would see both hard drives upon boot up. I'm guessing it didn't see the new HD because of the problem I ran into.

So, how do I set the jumpers?

Edited by konakula29er, 05 January 2009 - 10:14 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Here's some pictures... sorry they're not very good.

[attachment=26076:hard_disk.gif][attachment=26077:harddrive_C.jpg]

The little grey thingy is the jumper. The jumper basically shorts out two pins to tell the OS how to address the drive. If you look at your drive and compare it to the first photo, it may or may not have a similar photo about jumper postitions. If a photo is not on the drive, then somewhere on the case will be some stencils above or below where the jumper pins are (you might have to flip the drive over as it may be on either side). You will need to pull the jumper off (use tweezers) on the drive that contains the OS and move it to the Master position. On the additional drive, move the jumper to the Slave position. Reinstall the drives into the machine and see if that works. It should!

Now, I don't know if you actually pulled the entire IDE (wide cable) off of the motherboard. If you didn't, then disregard this paragraph. If you did, I need you to look at the cable itself. You will notice that the center IDE connector is not really centered... it's off to one side. The following picture is actually very helpful. The M stands for Master, the S, for Slave, and the red line is for identifiying Pin1 on the cable. The end connector that is furthest from the center connector connects to the motherboard. The cable must be installed as stated or errors may occur.
[attachment=26078:cable.jpg]
If your cable connectors are all the same color, then the cable you have is a 40 conductor cable. If one of the end connectors is Blue, then you have a 80 conductor cable. The Blue connector must always be connected to the motherboard.

Hey, I gotta hit the sack right now, so I'll get back to the thread later. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by makai, 05 January 2009 - 10:40 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Here's some pictures... sorry they're not very good.

[attachment=26076:hard_disk.gif][attachment=26077:harddrive_C.jpg]

The little grey thingy is the jumper. The jumper basically shorts out two pins to tell the OS how to address the drive. If you look at your drive and compare it to the first photo, it may or may not have a similar photo about jumper postitions. If a photo is not on the drive, then somewhere on the case will be some stencils above or below where the jumper pins are (you might have to flip the drive over as it may be on either side). You will need to pull the jumper off (use tweezers) on the drive that contains the OS and move it to the Master position. On the additional drive, move the jumper to the Slave position. Reinstall the drives into the machine and see if that works. It should!

Now, I don't know if you actually pulled the entire IDE (wide cable) off of the motherboard. If you didn't, then disregard this paragraph. If you did, I need you to look at the cable itself. You will notice that the center IDE connector is not really centered... it's off to one side. The following picture is actually very helpful. The M stands for Master, the S, for Slave, and the red line is for identifiying Pin1 on the cable. The end connector that is furthest from the center connector connects to the motherboard. The cable must be installed as stated or errors may occur.
[attachment=26078:cable.jpg]
If your cable connectors are all the same color, then the cable you have is a 40 conductor cable. If one of the end connectors is Blue, then you have a 80 conductor cable. The Blue connector must always be connected to the motherboard.

Hey, I gotta hit the sack right now, so I'll get back to the thread later. Let me know how it goes.

Ok, when we're done with all this you have my permission to have a personal life. Take a vacation from guys like me and renew your health :)

I've gotta get to sleep as well. I'll get back to this first thing tomorrow and let you know.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
OK, I changed my mind and I'm still up. Just in case this would help, I uploaded a couple of pics for you showing the hard drive I'm trying to install.

This one shows the label in full (I hope you can read it clearly)

[attachment=26084:Hard_Drive_I.JPG]

This one shows the jumper location with diagram label above the pins.

[attachment=26086:Hard_Drive_II.JPG]

I'm not sure you'll be able to see the diagram label clearly enough to make heads or tails from it. I can tell you that the position of the jumpers now indicates that it is set up for Device 0 (Master) next to the heading '16 Heads' according to the diagram label. Under this same category '16 Heads' the diagram label does show jumper placements for Device 1 (Slave). I'm thinking I should follow this diagram and place the jumpers accordingly. However, in addition to the '16 Heads' category, there is the following...'15 Heads', 32 GB Clip, and Auto Spin Disable. For each of these additional categories, there is a diagram showing the jumper placements for Device 1 (Slave).

Whaddya think?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
OK, I stayed up tonight and experimented with this installation some more and VIOLA! SUCCESS!

Both puny 40 GB hard drives are installed and working fine. The 2nd hard drive has been formatted and is ready for all the crap I'm going to put on it.

Thanks for all your help.

Greg