Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen resouloutions change after reboot?

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I set my resolutions to 1024X768 but every time I reboot it will first come up with 1024X768 and then it will change to 800X600. It will do this several time in front of your eyes changing from 1024X768 to 800X600 until it settles for 800X600. I have changed video cards and tried new drivers and it still does the same thing. Any ideas on this . Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is this a limited user account...
Is this a CRT .... Do you have another monitor you can try....

Edited by happyrock, 08 December 2008 - 10:21 AM.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Here is want I tried, I tried different monitors, different video cards, I undated the via 4 in 1 drivers, I updated the video card drivers, I did a repair install and nothing made a difference. This is a LCD, and it was a administrator account. I even tried to edit the registry. What I ended up doing for a work around for the moment was to make another user account with administrator privileges and that solved the problem. I transferred her desktop and documents to the new account and everything works. I still can't log on the other account with out the resolutions changing. I believe there is something that she installed that messed up the registry. I will still research the problem but at least she is able to work now. I spent countless hours looking into this problem but it probably lies deep in the registry. Have you ever run into this. Thanks Picky

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have seen a similar problem caused by a game that was installed...it only did it when playing the game..
now that you have her up and running...you can delete the old account completely..

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I will also take the option to save the users documents when I delete the account, just in case I missed something when move her docs to the new account. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)