Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA HD not recognized in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

jfalls

jfalls

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, need help with a HD issue. I have a WD 400GB caviar Se16 HD and a MSE 915P combo MS-7058 Ver:1 MB Bois is ver1.9. I have tried the WD Data Life with floppy and CD and will not recognize it to use. Set bios to ide. I used this HD in another computer as a back up using a card and it worked fine. I even formated it. I can't load an OS till I can see it. any suggestions. I am new to setting up sata.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
When installing Windows on to a SATA HD, you have to install the SATA driver in the initial stages of Windows Setup since it cannot recognise SATA hard drives drives natively as it does with the older PATA drives. The driver should have been supplied with the motherboard or with the SATA controller card if that's what the drive is connected to.

The driver should previously have been put on to a floppy disk.

At the very beginning of Windows Setup you should see a prompt at the bottom of screen wich says:
"Press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID driver"

This prompt also applies to SATA drivers even though it isn't specifically mentioned, and is why many people
unwittingly ignore it I suspect. SATA drives weren't around when XP was first launched, which is why it isn't mentioned in the setup prompt.

So at this point you need to press F6 and install the SATA driver.

jfalls

jfalls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got it to load Windows, but now I am showing only 130GBs. Should be 400GBs. I was reading someone elses problem that was similar to mine and went into the bios and changed some things around. Changed some jumper pins and everything came into view this morning. Now I have this 130GB issue to figure out and I will be complete.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I got it to load Windows, but now I am showing only 130GBs. Should be 400GBs. I was reading someone elses problem that was similar to mine and went into the bios and changed some things around. Changed some jumper pins and everything came into view this morning. Now I have this 130GB issue to figure out and I will be complete.

Open Disk Managementand it should allow you to see if it just created a partition that is 130Gb (the rest will show up in Disk Manager as unallocated space).

To open Disk Management:
  • Click on Start --> Run
  • Type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line
  • Click OK.

Disk management should now open up. There you will be able to manage your drives, including creating a new partition (that will show up as a new drive in windows).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 06 December 2008 - 05:05 PM.

jfalls

jfalls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found out that without SP1 at least XP will not show more than 130GBs. I have one of the orig Win XP versions given to me by MS when it first came out. I have to do a lot of updating when I install. I plan to put Vista on this box when I finish. I will see if your idea works after I finish updating.