Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Time Builder

• Please log in to reply

Eitsfo

Eitsfo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am interested in building a desktop computer. I have never run or been a part of building a home built machine, however I have a keen interest in the area. That said, due to my lack of experience in the area, I'm not really sure where to start. However, I know a few things for sure. The first of which, I am a gamer at heart. Though my university classes don't allow for a large amount of this, I know I will never really be happy with a machine unless I can push all that potential power into something ridiculously awesome. So I am want to build the most powerful machine I can. Second, I have a budget. I am willing to spend $2000 CAD on the hardware. The OS will be over and above this limit, cause it is easier to write that off (in my mind) as an incurred expense... Third, I would like to overclock the system. I will need help with this when the time comes, but this is a matter for later. I think for right now, I will be running stock cooling unless I have to use more for the stock components. I would prefer to purchase the power now, and add in the bigger coolers to overclock when I decide I can afford it. Also I am very partial to the Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower, so I would like to use that as my case. That said, if there is a better one for a better price, I am pretty flexible. Oh yes... and I would like to build something for which upgrading is a possibility... However, I understand that with intel's recent release of the i7 that an affordable system that could be upgraded for "years to come" is a bit of a dream. I think I would be just as well sticking to a Core 2 machine. Actually, I am very interested in the Q9550 Processor... But again I don't really know enough to make an informed build.

Sorry about the lengthy introduction... I tend to get really wordy...

Recap of Important Points

1) $2000 CAD
2) Planning to use Vista Home Premium
3) I am partial to the Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower, but not limited to
4)I will probably overclock someday

Advertisements

Eitsfo

Eitsfo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also, I am torn between 32 and 64 bit Vista Home Premium... I don't really know the implications of either...

Another "by the way" comment: I kind of consider an audio card one of those "potential upgrades" and will be fine with integrated sound so long as it supports S/PIDF passthrough. My Receiver has a relatively good decoder within... I know that I will be somewhat limited as to my 3D sound experience in-game, but I will have surround in my movies, and it will be quite good... and that will sufficiently tide me over till a sound card is a reasonable upgrade. However, I know I must also consider the fact that an audio card would take load off the CPU so maybe that is x dollars well spent in overall system performance... Alas, I am lost...

Edited by Eitsfo, 05 December 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Eitsfo

Eitsfo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is my start...

1) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - Retail
2) ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
3) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - Retail
6) CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
7) EVGA 01G-P3-1282-AR GeForce GTX 280 SuperClocked Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
8) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
9) Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
10) SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model SH-S222L - OEM

Total is $1,955.51 from Newegg.ca

Edited by Eitsfo, 06 December 2008 - 05:50 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You're missing an OS with that build, do you still need it?

The DVD-drive you selected is IDE, get this Samsung drive as this is SATA.

Since you're only using one video card, it would save you a lot of money by going with a P45 board. 780i boards are only good if you're going tri-SLI route which is the reason its price so high.

You can go with a Corsair 750W and that should be enough for your needs (considering you only have one video card). If you want modular PSU, I'm pretty sure there are some Silverstone 750W PSUs that are modular and doesn't cost too much.

I'd probably go with the Antec 1200 considering you have that beast of a video card and a quad core processor, both releases so much heat.

Let me know if you any other questions :)
Kamille

Eitsfo

Eitsfo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay... So I have been looking at boards, and the like... And this is what I have come up with

1) Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
2) Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBS 22X DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer Black Lightscribe OEM
3) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive Oem
4) EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 Superclocked 621MHZ 1024MB 2.268GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
5) Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB 2X2GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Memory Kit
6) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.83GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB Retail Box
7) Silverstone Strider ST75F 750W ATX12V 24PIN Modular Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC SLI Ready
8) Antec Twelve Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 1200 ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio eSATA
9) ASUS P5Q Deluxe ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA 1394 Motherboard

Altogether it comes to $2,028.87 from DirectCanada.com with tax and shipping... (I save something around $200 over new egg...)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Oh I didn't notice that you're from Canada, so am I :)

I always recommend NCIX.com (sister company of Direct Canada) however they do have pricematch and have a better customer support than Direct Canada. So what I always do is pick out my parts in NCIX.com and then price match it using Direct Canada's prices (NCIX always approve the price match instantly if its from Direct Canada). Also NCIX has a sale every Wednesday night so you will save a lot of money.

For the motherboard, check out Asus P5Q Pro, weight out the features between these two boards as I am sure you would be fine with the P5Q Pro.

Kamille

Eitsfo

Eitsfo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ahh, always nice to see a fellow Canadian... Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. I new NCIX was a sister company, however I forgot that they did the price match thing. And I have read very mixed reviews of DirectCanada.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
nevermind...

Edited by kamille316, 10 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.