Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading Windows Vista to Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply

Moose Muscles

Moose Muscles

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My windows vista works perfectly and has worked much more efficiently than previous xp systems...

my wife and I both use vista confidently...

win7 is what I am looking at getting, UAC is great once your used to it. Just buy a better mouse that lets you adjust the speed on the fly and you can zoom the cursor to click it just as fast as it appears.

Advertisements

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I had Vista on my Acer laptop, nothing but problems. Its like they oversimplified everything, and in doing so made everything much more difficult to handle. Widened the gap between user and tech so to speak. Also was a resource hog. Installed 7 Pro and except for standard new OS issues (drivers and such) I love it. Its got the speed and capability of XP with better usage of resources and Vista's pretty. As for the reg cleaner bit that has wormed its way into the discussion, I use Ccleaner's built in tool (backing up beforehand naturally) and have never had an issue and I've noticed that during a malware removal a great deal can be done just by running Ccleaner and its regfix at go, it saves time on scans by wiping the temps.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I think I already said it somewhere, but I run Vista Premium on a brandnew LENOVO notebook too, and I already said it I guess, yes I did quite some tweaks. Explorer locked up from time to time b4, as well as some programs, bootup time was slow b4, blue screen, all this within 2 weeks etc... After some tweaks that I did within a few weeks, the OS still locks up quite frequent (explorer and app's). The only thing I haven't seen reappearing are the BSOD's. And if 2.1Ghz CPU and 3Gb Ram aren't enough I'm sure nothing will be enough.

Depending on the nature of these tweaks, you may be in violation of that somehow legally binding contract nobody ever reads, which you agreed to when you clicked "I accept". From their End User License Agreement, section 8,

8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some
rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you
more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this
agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only
allow you to use it in certain ways.
For more information, see
http://www.microsoft...nsing/userights. You may not

• work around any technical limitations in the software;
  • reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that
    applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
    use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;
  • make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law,
    despite this limitation;

It's my opinion that you shouldn't have to consult an attorney (or risk another DMCA lawsuit) for using your computer in ways Microsoft sees unfit, so I try to avoid Vista altogether. It's a shame that OEM and requirements to use Vista if you want the hardware warranty coverage under you already paid for make that impossible. To complicate the legal mess, Microsoft has several web addresses in their agreement with terms you're also bound to. This means that they can change the terms at any time without notice and the user is the one responsible for checking those web pages for any added responsibilities in their MS contracts.

There is something wrong with the memory management of Vista. Vista will always use your max memory available, since the OS looks what you're most freq app's are and what their memory usage is, and it reserves this memory, so that it will immediately be available if you need it. Well that's the theory behind it. I think it just doesn't deliver quick enough that so-called memory that was reserved.

It actually doesn't do that for me. It constantly uses a minimum of 1 GB of my 3 GB RAM but usually doesn't surpass 2 GB. Maybe I require less memory for all my applications combined (I don't play games too often), or maybe it's something specific to your architecture. That reminds me of something else I may have forgotten to mention. I often get better driver stability out of Ubuntu; everything on my computer just immediately works, while with Vista I have to reboot through 3 instances of "your newly installed hardware might not work correctly until you restart". Sometimes the hardware (such as the wireless card) doesn't work at all until you download the driver, while it works from the Ubuntu LiveCD. To me, that really says something about Vista's driver stability.

hmmm that line about not working around technical limitations only applies to large corperation with volume liscenes agreements. i called microsoft one day and they actually walked me through replacing critical system files with modded versions and said that it was perfectly legal as long as it isn't used for commercial reasions. the primary reasion that line is in there is to keep corperations from modding their terminal services files to bypass the seat liscenses or so the microsoft rep said

http://www.microsoft....com/userights/ is the actual address linked in the origional post

Edited by mikeloeven, 16 July 2010 - 08:54 AM.

zhahongxi

zhahongxi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tested it for 3 monthes, it is very easy to use, easy to download and install, most of

all,its price is considerablly reasonable, if you are interested in it, you can have a try.

Thank you!

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My computer is a Vista, there's always errors popping up! and a whole bunch of crap like magnifer and windows messenger pops up along with Apple Syncer when the desktop is setting up after turning the computer on. how do i at least get rid of the pop ups?

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Are you considering a downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP? If so, Microsoft has created a new resource for you:

<a href="http://www.microsoft...xp/future.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft...future.aspx</a>

It discusses the future of XP. Discusses what downgrade rights are, and which versions of Vista have downgrade rights. As well as:
1) Content that can help customers make informed choices about Vista and the benefits it has over XP.
2) A Top Windows XP questions FAQ.
3) A Vista-to-XP downgrade FAQ in two sections: General Questions and How-to, including support options.

the XP link has "retired"... just FYI

noah84

noah84

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a hp photosmart 7760 printer, but I also have a Gateway laptop with Windows Vista on it. I cannot install this printer onto this computer cause it only works with Windows 98, Me, 2000 Professional, and XP. I was wondering if there was a way to downgrade to XP or if there is some sort of patch or whatever to trick the printer into thinking I was using XP, but I still had vista? I've heard my brother talk about something like that having to trick his computer games into thinking he's using windows 98 cause his game is so old it wont run on the new operating systems.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Noah

Edited by noah84, 08 September 2010 - 05:13 AM.