Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Update Error • 5-Dec-08

• Please log in to reply

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Okay, so last night when I shut off my computer (which is built by me, only 4 months old) I was greeted with yet another Vista update display (I'm assuming the update was from the 5-Dec-08) before my computer turned off. I didn't notice while using it if Microsoft did in fact release new updates, but I did leave it on while I was away for a few hours. Now this morning, I turn on my computer, and as usual am greeted with the Upate Stage page where the "update" makes it to Stage 3 of 3 and stays at 0%. Then a few seconds after that, it changes the message to "Shutting Down..." and then keeps restarting. It's stuck in a never-ending reboot cycle. I can't even get into Safe Mode because it happens in every mode. I do have my Vista DVD (OEM). I browsed the Microsoft website and there seems to be no relavant link (that hasn't been deleted or modified) to report such a bug. I don't think it's a malware issue becuase all my scans for this past week have dected nothing.

I'm a little stumped. :)
Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisements

skyhintack

skyhintack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Okay, I solved the issue. What happened was the Windows Defender Update on 12/4/08 caused the issue. I had to restore to the 12/2/08 to be able to log in and now I'm all set. I'm going to avoid that one update for a while to see if another is released later on.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for sharing your solution! :)

Alex09

Alex09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i got the same problem as you dude, basically.. it does what you stated above. The problem is that i got a brand new laptop and i havent made a restore data, also i don't have a clue on how to get rid of this problem. Do you have any solutions on how to help me and how i could start using the laptop asap!
Many Thanks