Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Uninstall McAfee Enterprise and Agent Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey all...I just purchased a used PC from a local university that was having a surplus sale. The PC has McAfee Antivirus on it and I have been unable to uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs (under Start, All Programs, the McAfee program listed does not give me the option to uninstall so I tried it through Add/Remove Programs). My research so far indicates the version of McAfee I have on this PC is a corporate version and that may have something to do with how difficult it is to remove.

Basically, there are 3 McAfee listings in the Add/Remove Programs list. I am able to uninstall 2 of the 3 McAfee products, but keep running into a problem when I try to uninstall the McAfee Agent from Add/Remove Programs. When I try to uninstall, I get a message indicating that it cannot proceed with the uninstall as the product is in use.

Each time I reboot my computer I either get all or some of the McAfee programs listed in the Add/Remove Programs once again. Here's where I am currently. I uninstalled (once again) 2 McAfee products from Add/Remove Programs. Tried to uninstall the McAfee Agent from Add/Remove Programs but got the same 'product in use' message. When I clicked the 'ok' button on that message window, the McAfee Agent disappeared from Add/Remove Programs. I then rebooted my PC and found that the McAfee OAS icon is on the lower right corner of my Task Bar still and when I click Start, All Programs, I find that McAfee is listed as a program with the following options: On-Access Scan, On-Demand Scan and VirusScan Console. Now here's the kicker...when I go to the Add/Remove Programs panel, there are NO, I repeat NO McAfee products listed there anymore. So the question is, if it no longer shows up in Add/Remove Programs, then why do I still have the McAfee OAS icon on my Task Bar and listed in my 'All Programs' menu when I click my Start button?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Advertisements

Dyamond

Dyamond

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Try running this McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

With these kinds of products (Norton and McAfee in particular) its not uncommon for remnants to get left behind. Try running the tool 2 or 3 times with a reboot in-between each running and see if this helps solve your problem.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Try running this McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

With these kinds of products (Norton and McAfee in particular) its not uncommon for remnants to get left behind. Try running the tool 2 or 3 times with a reboot in-between each running and see if this helps solve your problem.

SWEET! Ran MCPR and it took care of everything. Thanks a bunch!

Greg

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Doesn't work on my computer. I run it and says cannot continue. I've waited several minutes for the second command line and it doesn't show up...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Furyoko,

You really should start your own topic if you want help. It would also be good if you would give more information. You're trying to run the Mcafee removal tool and it's not working? What OS do you have? What version of Mcafee areyou trying to uninstall?

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My deepest apologies. I was surfing the net regarding uninstalling mcafee particularly agent, in which I had read this forum, exactly the same case as mine. So I just add replied to this topic...

Yes, I've run MCPR and says "McAfee Enterprise detected. Cannot continue."...

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Sevice Pack 2. I'm trying to uninstall McAfee Agent same case as mentioned in this forum. It's version # is 4.0.0.1345. I can't uninstall it via remove programs, same case.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try Revo Uninstaller, first: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
If that doesn't work, you have to remove it manually: http://community.mca...amp;postcount=2

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a lot! However, just an inquiry. With revo, I've successfully uninstalled mcafee agent, restarted my computer. After logging-in, mcafee logo appears, and so does in my task tray. The same goes with the start-up menu. However, when I scroll past the tray, the icon dissapears. Does this mean that the mcafee is uninstalled completely or not? I haven't yet tried the other link, removing it manually. Again, thanks!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Thanks a lot! However, just an inquiry. With revo, I've successfully uninstalled mcafee agent, restarted my computer. After logging-in, mcafee logo appears, and so does in my task tray. The same goes with the start-up menu. However, when I scroll past the tray, the icon dissapears. Does this mean that the mcafee is uninstalled completely or not? I haven't yet tried the other link, removing it manually. Again, thanks!

The Mcafee Agent is just one part of Mcafee, removing just that won't remove the whole thing.

Are you having the same problem as the topic starter?

Have you tried installing Mcafee over itself and then removing it?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may want to go through these steps: http://community.mca...amp;postcount=2, checking for leftovers, or..
Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecu...ckthis/download
Click on Download HijackThis Installer
Install, and run it.

Click on Open the Misc Tools section button.
Click on Generate StartupList log button.
The list will open in Notepad.
Save it as startup.txt.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

We'll see, what leftovers are still loading at the startup.

Advertisements

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm really glad that the members of this are really extending their help on my problem. My apologies on this since, honestly, this is my first personal computer (laptop) ever...

Yes, initially I have the same problem as the topic starter. I already uninstalled mcafee and the only one remaining is the agent. I've already uninstalled it via revo as suggested. As of the moment, there are no more mcafee named programs on my add/remove programs list...

Sirs/Ma'ams, as requested, kindly see attached. Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it!

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd like to apologize to Sari for not noticing, that furyoko wasn't an original poster. Hopefully, some moderator will split it.

Now...
I can still see some McAfee services running.

Download, and install ServiWin: http://www.nirsoft.n...s/serviwin.html
Run it.
Go Actions, click Select All.
Go File, click Save Selected Items.
Name the file Services, and save it to known location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Again, my deepest apologies...

As requested, kindly see attached. Thanks a lot!..

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry. My honest mistake.
After opening ServiWin, go View, click Services, then proceed with the rest.

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks!

Attached Files