Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Compatibility Question

• Please log in to reply

Courier00

Courier00

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just have a quick question. I'm planning to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64Bit from Vista Home Premium 32Bit. I currently have 2GB of memory, and was planning on picking up 4GB more. My question is whether or not they will be compatible together.

Current RAM:

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145034

RAM I want to add:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145184

My Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L-S3L

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
32-bit Windows only sees up to 4Gb of memory. Therefore even if you add another 2Gb you'll only see 3.2Gb of it all anyway.
If you want the full 6Gb of memory (if you were to add the extra) you'd need a 64-bit version of Windows.

Courier00

Courier00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea, I said I was upgrading to Vista Ultimate 64bit.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your best bet is really to contact Corsair directly. They'll be able to tell you for sure.