Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet after disconnecting router...

• Please log in to reply

Kerry

Kerry

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a Netgear WGR614v9 wireless router which I have connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable. I really don't want to go through the router anymore, so I tried plugging my modem straight in through my PC. I did this before I ever got the router and it worked fine. Now I get the "limited connectivity" message in my tray when I do it and cannot access any web page. When I right click on the connection in my network connections and hit repair it always tries to renew my IP, and then fails.

Is there something else I have to do to be able to run straight from my modem to my PC after getting rid of the router? any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kerry, 06 December 2008 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have a Netgear WGR614v9 wireless router which I have connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable. I really don't want to go through the router anymore, so I tried plugging my modem straight in through my PC. I did this before I ever got the router and it worked fine. Now I get the "limited connectivity" message in my tray when I do it and cannot access any web page. When I right click on the connection in my network connections and hit repair it always tries to renew my IP, and then fails.

Is there something else I have to do to be able to run straight from my modem to my PC after getting rid of the router? any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I DO NOT advise you eliminate the router as it removes a VERY important degree of security. When your computer is behind a router a hacker does not have direct access to your computer. This is a BIG help in the modern era of malware. Yeah they can get access through malware, but with out a router in place they can much more easily just gain direct access. My personal advice is don't do it, unless there is a problem with your current router. If so get a new one is my advice.

That being said, if you insist to, you may need to call your cable company. Most cable modems use what is called your MAC address to decide if you are a valid customer and to give you an IP. The cable company may have your routers mac address and needs the one for your computer.