Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys WRK54G wireless router 2.4 ghz

• Please log in to reply

manzrdh

manzrdh

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have Linksys WRK54G wireless router 2.4 ghz & have changed the factory SSID name & channel to prevent anyone from using my signal. My question is I need to change the information on my laptop which is connected to that newtwork as well. I have windows XP and was looking online & the instructions state to click on the small wirelesss network icon in the notification area and click on the tab. then the click the add button. I dont know or see this. Please advise.

thanks in advance

:)

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Changing the SSID and the channel are not going to stop anyone from using your signal. As long as you can connect and you don't have to change anything on your laptop.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Changing the SSID and/or channel number will not prevent someone else connecting to your router -- I don't know who gave you that information but it's wrong. To prevent your wireless connection being used by someone you haven't given permission to, you need to set up a "WEP" or "WPA" Password in the configuration screen of your wireless router (WPA is more secure than WEP).

Then enter that same password in your laptop's wireless configuration software. If there is no icon in the system tray (which there should be if your wireless device driver is installed and working properly)have a look in Control Panel (classic view) ---> Network Connections.

As Gnomad1600 says, a change of SSID and/or channel does not have to be entered on your laptop because all wireless adapters can detect such changes automatically. Only the WEP or WPA security password has to be entered manually.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 07 December 2008 - 03:12 AM.

manzrdh

manzrdh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks will try that