Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and c

• Please log in to reply

ragnarok96

ragnarok96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

When I go > Connect to a Network > Diagnose why Windows can't find any networks, it tells me "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured"

I have wireless adapter Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI_E Fast Ethernet NIC.

I was just done reformatting this computer, and now I can't even connect to the internet. When I go to Device Manager > Network Adapters >Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI_E Fast Ethernet NIC

It tells me that this device is working correctly.

Obviously it doesn't.

I downloaded many drivers for the adapter, and with a USB drive, I transported and installed. Still it's not working

Please help!

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Device Manager has it's limitations in that it will assume everything is ok if the device is present and it's correct driver installed. Beyond that it's of little use. It's possible for a device to be broken yet DM might still say it's ok.
If it's a desktop PC you can replace the network card -- very cheap and very easy. If it's a laptop you can buy either a wireless adapter on a PCMCIA card or on a USB stick. The former type is preferred if your laptop has a PCMCIA slot (also referred to as 'cardbus' or just 'PC Card' slot).

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 07 December 2008 - 02:21 AM.

jaimini84

jaimini84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a dell inspiron 5100 (kinda old) with a PC card in the cardbus for wireless internet which was working fine before reformatting my computer. after reformatting, it's not working at all and i cannot connect to the computer. i installed all the drivers that were on the cd that came with the computer. i lost the cd that came with the PC card so i download the driver software from linksys's website but when i try to intstall that, it always gets stuck on "searching" when trying to locate any wireless networks (my other laptop's is connecting fine so the problem is not the internet itself) and only the power light lights up on the PC card but not the link light. i would appreciate ANY help with my problem. I doubt buying a new PC card would help because this one was working fine before the reformatting. the only things i can think that might be off are the installing the drivers on the laptop after reformatting or installing the PC card software. i've done both twice and would appreciate any other suggestions. thanks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • What is the Make and Model of the "PC card"?

• Which Operating System is running on the "dell inspiron 5100"?

jaimini84

jaimini84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for your help!

1. the card is a linksys wireless g adapter, wpc54g version 3

2. the dell has windows xp, home edition

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
So far so good. What is the Make and Model number of the wireless device, (modem, router), that you're trying to connect to?

jaimini84

jaimini84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have netgear and i think arissa or something like that. but i dont think the problem is with them since my other laptop is connecting to the internet fine.