Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to hook up Seagate drive using USB connector

• Please log in to reply

BigJimKel

BigJimKel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Seagate 80gb from a rebuild (used a new sata drive and gave that computer to my brother). I am trying to use usb connector cables to hook up the 80gb as an external drive but my computer would not recognize it. I tried using a 20gb drive and it was recognized right away, but not the 80gb. I am running win XP sp2. Help!!! :)

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Check how the jumper on the 20Gb disk you tried is configured (ie slave or master) then make sure the jumper on 80Gb disk is configured same. For external use most drives need to have jumper set to 'master' otherwise system won't see it.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 07 December 2008 - 05:45 AM.

BigJimKel

BigJimKel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, Grandad Phillip, the 80gb is set to slave. I will pick up yhe usb cables from my friend at work tomorrow and try hooking it up again. Thanks very much.